Closed Collection Account on my report

inthehollar

New memeber here. Thanks everyone for the mountains of info!

I have a closed collection account with Berlin-Wheeler on my Experian report. This was from a mistake by an insurance company back in 2008. The balance was paid to the medical provider but their mistake put this on my report.

How can I get it removed? Please and thank you for the help!

Two strategies here.

1) Send a DV letter to the collector requesting all relevent proofs of the alledged debt. They most likely will not send it. The account is 5+ years old. When they fail to send verification you can send a copy of that letter (the DV letter) and the corresponding certified mail receipt to the bureaus and request removal.

2) You can Dispute with the bureaus directly and leave it to the insurance co to respond properly or not.

I would send the DV first and give it 30 days. Then dispute with the bureuas.

All The Best,

@S. Louis Blisko

If you're referring to a DV per the FDCPA, any collector who knows the validation requirements of the FDCPA will know that they would not have to respond to that DV request. 

In addition, even if the DV were timely, the required information would not be sufficient to verify all of the information contained in a credit report entry and would not be enough to convince a credit reporting agency to delete an entry.

If one is going to dispute an entry with the furnisher in accordance with the FCRA, it must contain the consumer's specific dispute pertaining to the credit report entry.  However, by disputing first with the furnisher, one takes a chance that he would have no private right of action against the furnisher for a possible FCRA violation.