Court Hearing Tomorrow re: fee waiver

Tomorrow is a hearing for my fee waiver request.  

Originally, when I filed my reply to summons, I was employed but filed a fee waiver for financial hardship.  Judge requested court hearing to show pay stub documentation etc. 

I was laid off from my job due to a recent acquisition.  I will now take my last W2s and my letter of Reduction in Force showing my last day of work.  

I have filed for unemployment but have not received anything yet.  Nor will I receive any severance for awhile. Sadly, I am wiped out of money right now and even borrowing some to get gas to get to the court.  

What should I take in addition?  The papers do not state much. 

What should I expect in the court tomorrow?  I assume dress nice?  Suit?  Skirt suit?  

I am a bit nervous now that this is tomorrow.  

I'm not sure about what you'll need, but definately dress nice/professional. Judges appreciate that and it can only help. I wore a suit for my appearances before my judge and both times his first comment was about how professional I looked.

Agree with RyanEX, dress nice. I would not wear expensive jewelery, don't know if it would matter, but would keep accessories, simple.

Have no idea what kind of documents you woulld need, but definetely the paperwork you mentioned, about being laid off, not getting unemployment etc.

If this is just with a judge, maybe a short list of your monthly expenses, rent, utilities, loans, etc. I think that would help. Wouldn't go in to detail, but would give him an idea as to your obligations. I think like recent copies of your utility bills, rent or house payment, loans.

Other may have better ideas, but that is what I would take.

Good luck

Agree with RyanEX, dress nice. I would not wear expensive jewelery, don't know if it would matter, but would keep accessories, simple.

Have no idea what kind of documents you woulld need, but definetely the paperwork you mentioned, about being laid off, not getting unemployment etc.

If this is just with a judge, maybe a short list of your monthly expenses, rent, utilities, loans, etc. I think that would help. Wouldn't go in to detail, but would give him an idea as to your obligations. I think like recent copies of your utility bills, rent or house payment, loans.

Other may have better ideas, but that is what I would take.

Good luck

Font is impossible to read on mobile phone.

Thank you everyone!  I dressed in a suit.  This was my first time in 44 years of being in court and I was shaking.  Outside someone was talking to their lawyer and showing them all the documentation they brought including utility shutoff notices, that days bank balance, and more.  I had tax income, rental agreement, and my reduction in force letter.  I feared I did not have enough.  When I was called into the court, I told the judge there had been a change in circumstances since I first filed the fee waiver and I have been recently laid off.  Judge said that is unfortunate and asked about unemployment.  I stated I have filed but have not received funds yet.  Judge said fee waiver granted.  That is it.  She didn't even ask for any paperwork or anything.  It was about 2 minutes.  

I hope the rest of the suit can go as easy.  I still have not sent a BOP or anything else to the lawyers of Portfolio.  I guess I should work on that now.  I know there are lots of samples around here - but any suggestions of the best ones for California?

• Like 1