New Profesion

kutuzov

Hi Guys!

Gone for quite some time. As you might or might not remember, my hours where cut in half back in September, or October. So I looked for new job options, finally found a profession that didn't require going back to school and 1-2 years of study, Truck Driving. So I went to a training school for that and got a CDL class A!!! Start working on the road with a freight carrier December 9, better pay and no hours to be cut, they just can't tell you hey leave that trailer on the road you already got 25 hours this week! So my contribution to these forum will be slim  since I be on the road most of the time. On the other hand I now got a cell phone!!

Thanks to all of you guys!

• Like 4

Well it's a great way to see the USA! My brother is always looking for long distance drivers, he buys liquidation merchandise and has to hire someone to bring it over here. (He owns a store kinda like big lots, but not as big, just one store). He goes through some site where he takes bids from drivers, on how much they could do it for. It is quite competitive from what I gather. Lots of demand in that field, I am sure you will be kept busy.

• 2 months later...

I spent a lot of years on the road running coast to coast. Even had my own trucks. It's a hard life and I don't  really miss it anymore. Just jump in the car if I get a whim to see the country. I also spent a lot of years flying airplanes all over as a commercial pilot. I enjoyed that a lot more, but, now too old to do any of it though I still hold a CDL. So, you have fun out there becareful and watch those four wheelers. They will get you into an accident every time.

• Like 1

I drove pretty much most of the time in the NE, I hate PA mountains, specially if I'm haulingl 40+ pounds. I drove on ice and snow maybe 30 out of the 60 days up there. I was stuck on I75 s, about 30 miles out of Atlanta on that Georgia few inches snow. I was inspected by DOT about 10 days after finishing my training, with no violations!, I got stuck on ice over in OH, a wrecker got to get me out, no ticket or damage just stuck. I got all kinds of stories from my first 60 days of work. The worst, was a 4 wheeler an idiot, when coming back home in Jacksonville, I95 divided in two with another road, this 4 wheeler missed the right turn, and instead of keep on going I95 S, the lady decided to stop and do the turn ... I was behind her, blew the air horn, and brake down, lucky for her my load was only 16k pounds if I was a 40+ load I probably would have either hit her, or slam my brakes and the guy on my back would have hit me, lucky enough I did have a safe following distance. Anyways I'll be back on those roads monday ...

I hated those PA mountains too. In fact, I hated to run E. of the Miss. River, those people are crazy back there always cutting you off. The ones I hated the most are the four wheelers that came flying past you to cut you off and take the exit ramp a hundred yards ahead of you. You had to lock it up to keep from running over them. Then too, you could never find truck parking back East to park a big rig. Becareful out there, keep your doors locked.

I was in New Hampshire with -15, no truck stop near by, I know the feeling of no parking I ended parking at a walmart. And yes I got a couple of those flying birds, on an exit, but I hate it most when you put your blinker to turn right and exit and the 4 wheeler speeds up instead of letting you exit.

I didn't hit bamby yet but I if it happens to be on the road I would have no choice but to hit bamby, you do not wanna put your life or someone else life in jeopardy for bamby. Elks are huge animals not sure if you hit it you'll be ok, but I rather take the hit than a rollover.

• 2 months later...

Want a good story!

So on march 25 or so I go on the road on my 18 wheelerd my dispatcher, I want to get back home on may 7. Usual for the job lots of driving and work, till one week before my due home time. Message my dispatcher to remind him Im due home next week. Week went by and by sunday I was in ohio ... then I got a message for a load going to NJ, sure you can drive the truck yourself, I need a load going south I responded. Tuesday come in, and I was in NC, and then they wanted to shoot down my truck for service, and on top of that they want me to do a load going to PA. Sure if I get an airplane ticket from PA to my house I do it. I didn't get the ticket ... so wed show up and I was supposed to be home, but I was still in NC and finally got a load going to Fl to deliver Thursday. Problem was I still needed to service the truck. So I show up at the shop and my app time is friday by midnight, the place I was delivering was close on weekends ... well I got a rental car, got all my crap off the truck and call my dispatcher. Told him the truck is at the shop, and I was going home, the bill of landing was at the trailer pouch, I was due home got a doctor app and he should have route me home. He ask me if I was coming back etc. Well I made some phone calls and got a job for about 300 more a week, so I guess I'm not.