authrorized user bring up credit?

perchdinner

I have terrible credit trying to start rebuilding. I am working on getting some of challges in to the big 3.

I have read in the forum this doesn't really help only bring up the sucker score> Which I guess really isnt worth much. But all these people in the web say its the bee knees. Does any one have any thoughts on this? I have a friend with steller credit who said she would could add me to a two cards. I know it cant hurt me, but I dont just want to make sure its worth the hassle.

Two comments:

1.  If your intent is to get credit cards in your name, then being an AU on someone else's cards MAY help.  No guarantees.  (The whole AU ploy is built around the assumption that you can scam the system and get credit for someone else's good credit.  FICO and the CRAs are not that stupid).

2.  How good a friend?  Do you really want to put a good friend's credit at risk?

Two comments:

1.  If your intent is to get credit cards in your name, then being an AU on someone else's cards MAY help.  No guarantees.  (The whole AU ploy is built around the assumption that you can scam the system and get credit for someone else's good credit.  FICO and the CRAs are not that stupid).

2.  How good a friend?  Do you really want to put a good friend's credit at risk?

A very good friend !!! How would it put her credit at risk?

Two comments:

@willingtocope - Authorized user won't affect a friend's credit.  

@willingtocope - Authorized user won't affect a friend's credit.  

I'm sorry.  I should have clarified my comment...you're right...person A's credit rating will not be affected JUST because they grant person B (with bad credit) AU status.

However, if for some other reason, person A's credit tanks, a CA may try to collect from person B...legally, they probably can't, but it might not stop them from trying.  Also, granting AU status gives A leverage over B...is the relationship strong enough to stand that?  And, what if B takes advantage of the situation, and runs up the CC and then takes off?

What I'm saying is...do A and B trust each other enough to place such trust in each other?

I'm sorry.  I should have clarified my comment...you're right...person A's credit rating will not be affected JUST because they grant person B (with bad credit) AU status.

However, if for some other reason, person A's credit tanks, a CA may try to collect from person B...legally, they probably can't, but it might not stop them from trying.  Also, granting AU status gives A leverage over B...is the relationship strong enough to stand that?  And, what if B takes advantage of the situation, and runs up the CC and then takes off?

What I'm saying is...do A and B trust each other enough to place such trust in each other?

I wont even be getting a card. If and when they do send it I will destroy it.  Just my name on the account. She offered to do me a favor being she filed bk back in the 80's. What I gathered I am not even liable as a Au , so really I can only see a upside for me because my credit sucks anyway. If she does go belly up somehow. Then I am no worse off then I am now.  Thanks for everyones input It sounds like a go

• 2 weeks later...