I received a complaing from Midland by regular mail. I talked to a lawyer and he said it may be better to settle- debt us inder 3k I still have time to answer the complaint, but I sent a debt validation letter and they responded  right away with a statement copy form original bank and bill of sale from original bank to them, Midland is the 2nd JDB, previous collector was Oliphant. Wells Fargo- original creditor and Oliphant reported on credit , now Midland reported with higher figure( fees interest I assume)

I never received in writing anything before from therm ever, I have robo calls from an 866 number with all hangups, no voice mails that I now see is their phone number on  private  voice mail account that I have saved and was a buisness telephone line used .

What should I do? Fight or settle?I dont really have the money even for payments and I hear even settle for less they may not be able to remove from credit report as the credit reporting agencies do not like that pay for removal.

Help!

Also one thing I know is that this was reported to my credit report before they sent the summoms compliant and they never validated the debt prior to sending me a complaint. Not till I received the complaint, I then sent a validation letter.

I received a reply to a DV letter I sent when I got a summons from Midland- They sent me back a copy of a bill of sale with their signature and wells fargo  EVP  of operations signature on page 2, on the 1st page it says Bill of Sale-MY NAME OR ACCNT NUMBER IS NOT ON THIS BILL OFSALE, They blocked out in black Outstanding Balance of Accounts and Number of Accounts.

Another doc they sent me was a statement with my name and address from a year ago or a bit more and attached to that important info about your account.

Are these docs from them sufficient to make them valid on their side?

For everyone that posts here, it will help us out if you can provide the following information: (revised 02-09-2012)

If you are inquiring about a lawsuit in which you are the defendant (ie you are being sued), you need to answer the following questions (as much as possible):

1. Who is the named plaintiff in the suit?

2. What is the name of the law firm handling the suit? (should be listed at the top of the complaint.)

3. How much are you being sued for?

4. Who is the original creditor? (if not the Plaintiff)

5. How do you know you are being sued? (You were served, right?)

6. How were you served? (Mail, In person, Notice on door)

7. Was the service legal as required by your state?

Process Service Requirements by State - Summons Complaint

8. What was your correspondence (if any) with the people suing you before you think you were being sued?

9. What state and county do you live in?

10. When is the last time you paid on this account? (looking to establish if you are outside of the statute of limitations)

11. What is the SOL on the debt? To find out:

Statute of Limitations on Debts

12. What is the status of your case? Suit served? Motions filed? You can find this by a) calling the court or looking it up online (many states have this information posted - when you find the online court site, search by case number or your name).

13. Have you disputed the debt with the credit bureaus (both the original creditor and the collection agency?)

14. Did you request debt validation before the suit was filed? Note: if you haven't sent a debt validation request, don't bother doing this now - it's too late.

15. How long do you have to respond to the suit? (This should be in your paperwork). If you don't respond to the lawsuit notice you will lose automatically. In 99% of the cases, they will require you to answer the summons, and each point they are claiming. We need to know what the "charges" are. Please post what they are claiming. Did you receive an interrogatory (questionnaire) regarding the lawsuit?

Here is an example of what the summons/complaint may look like: Sued by a Debt Collector - Learn How to Fight Debt Lawsuits

16. What evidence did they send with the summons? An affidavit? Statements from the OC? Contract? List anything else they attached as exhibits.

Most attorneys will advise you to settle or pay if they are not consumer attorneys, just saying. Answer the above questions, and if you choose to fight it, we will show you how.

You can start by reading Astmedic's thread pinned at the top, and also homelessinca's thread, both beat the JDB in court, but used different approaches .

• Like 2

For everyone that posts here, it will help us out if you can provide the following information: (revised 02-09-2012)

If you are inquiring about a lawsuit in which you are the defendant (ie you are being sued), you need to answer the following questions (as much as possible):

2. What is the name of the law firm handling the suit? (should be listed at the top of the complaint.)

8. What was your correspondence (if any) with the people suing you before you think you were being sued?

10. When is the last time you paid on this account? (looking to establish if you are outside of the statute of limitations)

12. What is the status of your case? Suit served? Motions filed? You can find this by a) calling the court or looking it up online (many states have this information posted - when you find the online court site, search by case number or your name).

13. Have you disputed the debt with the credit bureaus (both the original creditor and the collection agency?)

14. Did you request debt validation before the suit was filed? Note: if you haven't sent a debt validation request, don't bother doing this now - it's too late.

15. How long do you have to respond to the suit? (This should be in your paperwork). If you don't respond to the lawsuit notice you will lose automatically. In 99% of the cases, they will require you to answer the summons, and each point they are claiming. We need to know what the "charges" are. Please post what they are claiming. Did you receive an interrogatory (questionnaire) regarding the lawsuit?

Here is an example of what the summons/complaint may look like: Sued by a Debt Collector - Learn How to Fight Debt Lawsuits

16. What evidence did they send with the summons? An affidavit? Statements from the OC? Contract? List anything else they attached as exhibits.

Thanks for your reply- Here are the answers to your above questions in bold.

MIDLAND FUNDING LLC (there are also 5 attorney listed on the complaint with their state bar#’s

NO FIRM LISTED JUST 5 ATTORNEYS LISTED WITH THEIR STATE BAR#'S

FOR PRIVACY REASONS I WILL STATE THIS AMOUNT THAT IS CLOSE $1700 plus 2 years interest ( I heard debt collectors scavenger this board and use evidence if they connect the dots- not sure if this is true

WELLS FARGO

MAILED COPY OF SUMMONS TO MY ADDRESS ( they fax filed to court)

MAILED COPY OF SUMMONS TO MY ADDRESS INSIDE MAILBOX

I BELIEVE, WENT TO LEGAL AID AND SERVICE BY MAIL IN CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTES SERVICE, BUT I SEE NO POF ON THE SUMMONS,  BUT THE SUMMONS CASE# IS LISTED WITH COURT

NO NOT IN WRITING

LOS ANGELES, CA

ABOUT EARLY 2012

3 YEARS IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA

SUPPOSED TO ANSWER MID DECEMBER

13. Have you disputed the debt with the credit bureaus (both the original creditor and the collection agency?) YES

DEBT VALIDATION WAS SENT AFTER I WAS RECEIVED SUMMONS – THEY RESPONDED

I HAVE TILL MID DECEMBER BEFORE THE 15TH.I WANT TO ANSWER ASAP THOUGH.

NO QUESTIONNARE RECEVED

THEY DID NOT SEND STATEMENTS FROM THE ORIGINAL CREDITOR OR CONTRACT, THE PLACED A DECLARATION OF REDUCED FILING FEES FOR THEMSELVES

Please note on  a free consultation with a lawyer- he said judges are not being lenient on the Fair credit reporting act towards the plaintiff . He advised me to settle cause I do owe the money to the original creditor. His fees would have been more than a settlement of the debt so I declined to use him as I can’t afford to even barely settle.

Like I said attorneys that do not specialize as a consumer attorney, or if it would cost more to pay them than the amount of the debt will advise you to settle.

You may have owed the original creditor something, but you don't owe midland anything. They bought your account for less than 100.00, and now want 1700.00 plus.

Your choices are you can settle, or you can fight it yourself. If you choose to fight it you are going to need to study, learn the rules of civil procedure, and use the guidance offered here.

So California can use a general denial. Here is the link to that. http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/pld050.pdf. And the proof of service form you will need. http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/pos040.pdf Get that filed, then send them a bill of particulars. Here is a sample BOP. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8mtxc68Hb2tU21jc1pGeVVWYjQ/preview.

What is their cause of action? Breach of contract, account stated, open book?

• Like 3

Like I said attorneys that do not specialize as a consumer attorney, or if it would cost more to pay them than the amount of the debt will advise you to settle.

You may have owed the original creditor something, but you don't owe midland anything. They bought your account for less than 100.00, and now want 1700.00 plus.

Your choices are you can settle, or you can fight it yourself. If you choose to fight it you are going to need to study, learn the rules of civil procedure, and use the guidance offered here.

So California can use a general denial. Here is the link to that. http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/pld050.pdf. And the proof of service form you will need. http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/pos040.pdf Get that filed, then send them a bill of particulars. Here is a sample BOP. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8mtxc68Hb2tU21jc1pGeVVWYjQ/preview.

I do  plan to fight. I think its too risky to settle for $500 or more for example and not have it removed from my credit report as I see that is hard to do on a settlement with the credit bureas if there is no violations for sure.

Looking at the complaint, I see they say  they are open and willing to settle , that they attempt to contact via several measures they say, Says unaware of true names but will ask leave of the court to ammend the complaint as and when true names and capacities  Does 1-1o have been acertained. (they mention  Wells Fargo as original creditor) THey mention accnt was sold and assigned to plaintiff, In the section plaintiff action to resolve it states- they prefer to work with consumers to make payments in an honorable way-- blah blah etc,,THey are basicaly saying thay I refused to contact and pay the debt.

You will get to that in your discovery phase. You didn't answer the question, what do they have as a cause of action? Your 1st priority will be to answer the lawsuit.

You will get to that in your discovery phase. You didn't answer the question, what do they have as a cause of action? Your 1st priority will be to answer the lawsuit.

they say

. Became indebted on account to plaintiff within the last 4 years for the amount.

Plaintiff made demand but defended retused  to pay balance due

The amount is due and owing

Cost of suit

Such relief as the court may deem just and proper

So under affirmative defenses I would put

1. Plaintiff lacks standing

2. Plaintiff has failed to state a claim for which relief can be granted.

3. Lack if privity

You don't have to use any affirmative defenses, and all of them except plaintiff lacks standing will shift the burden on you, so read what they mean before you use them.

So your immediate tasks are is to send them a BOP, and answer the suit. You do not file the BOP with the court, but do send it Certified, return receipt requested. You do file the answer with the court along with the proof of service, and send it to the plaintiff Cmrrr.

• Like 1

So under affirmative defenses I would put

1. Plaintiff lacks standing

2. Plaintiff has failed to state a claim for which relief can be granted.

3. Lack if privity

You don't have to use any affirmative defenses, and all of them except plaintiff lacks standing will shift the burden on you, so read what they mean before you use them.

So your immediate tasks are is to send them a BOP, and answer the suit. You do not file the BOP with the court, but do send it Certified, return receipt requested. You do file the answer with the court along with the proof of service, and send it to the plaintiff Cmrrr.

Thank you for really taking the time to go over this with me- I will do this.

• Like 1

when you are in court  or otherwise can you  find out how much  the JDC paid for the debt since and can you approach the suit under "volenti non fit injuri" and pay them what they paid for the debt if the judge does not rule in your favor down the line? .Seems as it you have to get a supeona to do that.

Read this online at .justanswer.com

Welcome.

It is often hard for a JDB to prove assignment directly from the original creditor.  It will be much more difficult for you plaintiff to prove it when there is an intermediary JDB. 

For an interesting discussion of the assignment problem, read the Askew opinion:    http://www.courts.mo.gov/file.jsp?id=51954

This is not a California case, but it will help you understand the issues.

calawyer, on 26 Nov 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

Welcome.

It is often hard for a JDB to prove assignment directly from the original creditor. It will be much more difficult for you plaintiff to prove it when there is an intermediary JDB.

For an interesting discussion of the assignment problem, read the Askew opinion: http://www.courts.mo.gov/file.jsp?id=51954

This is not a California case, but it will help you understand the issues.

Thanks for this but the link has nothing in it So I searched in Google and found this- I assume this is it? http://missourilawreview.blogspot.com/2012/01/cach-llc-v-askew1.html

this is awesome are they any cases like this in California? How do you find one?

I just found this on Midland Funding from The California Secretary of State's website. I have heard that if the collector is not licensed in the state they are sueing you in the case can be thrown out in court?

Data is updated to the California Business Search on Wednesday and Saturday mornings. Results reflect work processed through Tuesday, December 3, 2013. Please refer to Processing Times for the received dates of filings currently being processed. The data provided is not a complete or certified record of an entity.

Entity Name: MIDLAND FUNDING NCC-1 CORPORATION Entity Number: C2544124 Date Filed: 07/17/2003 Status: SURRENDER Jurisdiction: DELAWARE Entity Address: 8875 AERO DR STE 200 Entity City, State, Zip: SAN DIEGO CA 92123 Agent for Service of Process: ROBIN R PRUITT Agent Address: 8875 AERO DR STE 200 Agent City, State, Zip: SAN DIEGO CA 92123

* Indicates the information is not contained in the California Secretary of State's database.

• If the status of the corporation is "Surrender," the agent for service of process is automatically revoked. Please refer to California Corporations Code section 2114 for information relating to service upon corporations that have surrendered.
  • For information on checking or reserving a name, refer to Name Availability.
  • For information on ordering certificates, copies of documents and/or status reports or to request a more extensive search, refer to Information Requests.
  • For help with searching an entity name, refer to Search Tips.
  • For descriptions of the various fields and status types, refer to Field Descriptions and Status Definitions.

well upon further research now a few hrs later I see that as corporation they are active as of having a corporation named Midland Funding LLC

This info I guess is helpful to use if you want to counter sue them

Entity Name: MIDLAND FUNDING LLC Entity Number: 200801710065 Date Filed: 01/14/2008 Status: ACTIVE Jurisdiction: DELAWARE Entity Address: 3111 CAMINO DEL RIO NORTH STE 1300 Entity City, State, Zip: SAN DIEGO CA 92108 Agent for Service of Process: CORPORATION SERVICE COMPANY WHICH WILL DO BUSINESS IN CALIFORNIA Agent Address: AS CSC - LAWYERS INCORPORATING SERVICE, (C1592199) Agent City, State, Zip: *

Welcome Credit2011,

You don't mention unless I missed it what you're being sued for: account stated, breach of contract, money lent etc...please posr. This will help us help you. If the only item you are being sued for is for Account stated then a Request for Bill of Particulars (bop) will not work. However, if there are additional items like breach of contract then bop is appropriate.

so let us know. MIDLAND is BEATABLE. I've won against them, astmedics and a quite few Cali's have. So don't sweat it...

• Like 1

Welcome Credit2011,

You don't mention unless I missed it what you're being sued for: account stated, breach of contract, money lent etc...please posr. This will help us help you. If the only item you are being sued for is for Account stated then a Request for Bill of Particulars (bop) will not work. However, if there are additional items like breach of contract then bop is appropriate.

so let us know. MIDLAND is BEATABLE. I've won against them, astmedics and a quite few Cali's have. So don't sweat it...

I am being sued for the amount owed to the original creditor- the bank, placed it on my credit report with the amount reported as higher which seems to be interest in fees, so they added an additional $500 or so on top of the amount on my credit report.  As far as what I can say for breach of contract I don't know?? Do you mean them proving they own the debt? What was your situation with them and how did you beat them?

I am being sued for the amount owed to the original creditor

Don't even think of paying midland funding any money you may owe someone but you don't owe midland.

If you settle with midland for less then amount owed 3 months later you will get to meet portfolio recovery and they will want to collect the full amount plus fee's from you.

learn how to defend your self by studying the rules of procedure and the rules of the court and learn how to send discovery.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/rules.htm

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=ccp

http://california-discovery-law.com/

read thru all the CA cases on CIC you can find by using the search feature on the top right side of the page.

PLD-050 General Denial - California Courts you need to answer the plaintiffs complaint denying all the allegations.

POS-030 PROOF OF SERVICE BY FIRST ... - California Courts

FW-001 Request to Waive Court Fees - California Courts - State

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/community/topic/312714-standing-when-dealing-with-jdb/ read this

When you win your case you can clean your credit up.

• Like 2

racecar, on 07 Dec 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

Don't even think of paying midland funding any money you may owe someone but you don't owe midland.

If you settle with midland for less then amount owed 3 months later you will get to meet portfolio recovery and they will want to collect the full amount plus fee's from you.

learn how to defend your self by studying the rules of procedure and the rules of the court and learn how to send discovery.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/rules.htm

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=ccp

http://california-discovery-law.com/

read thru all the CA cases on CIC you can find by using the search feature on the top right side of the page.

PLD-050 General Denial - California Courts you need to answer the plaintiffs complaint denying all the allegations.

POS-030 PROOF OF SERVICE BY FIRST ... - California Courts

FW-001 Request to Waive Court Fees - California Courts - State

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/community/topic/312714-standing-when-dealing-with-jdb/ read this

When you win your case you can clean your credit up.

thanks I have my weekend planned looking at this- I am on a vendetta with these people!! ::drowning::

any cues to what I should be looking at in this link?http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=ccp

sounds to me like you maybe havent even been sued yet

they need to *PERSONALLY* serve you with a SUMMONS that is filed with a court and has a case number and will list one or more causes of acion such as 'Account stated', 'Breach of Contract', or 'Common Counts'. the cause of acion they cite is critical to your defense strategy and we need to know th to help you

so im thinking eiher

a) they have sent you pre-litigation letter in effort to scare you

B) maybe you have been 'served' but serving a summons by mail is not legal in CA (search for 'sewer service' on this site). May or may not help you dependent on the judge.

im guessing you got sued by Snyder Harris Brown and McElroy and sewer service is not their MO from my expereience

so let us know

also FYI, CA statute of limitations is 4 years

• Like 2

I received a complaing from Midland by regular mail. I talked to a lawyer and he said it may be better to settle- debt us inder 3k I still have time to answer the complaint, but I sent a debt validation letter and they responded  right away with a statement copy form original bank and bill of sale from original bank to them, Midland is the 2nd JDB, previous collector was Oliphant. Wells Fargo- original creditor and Oliphant reported on credit , now Midland reported with higher figure( fees interest I assume)

I never received in writing anything before from therm ever, I have robo calls from an 866 number with all hangups, no voice mails that I now see is their phone number on  private  voice mail account that I have saved and was a buisness telephone line used .

What should I do? Fight or settle?I dont really have the money even for payments and I hear even settle for less they may not be able to remove from credit report as the credit reporting agencies do not like that pay for removal.

3K is a lot of money. and you dont owe midland anything. have you ever had a conract or business reltionship with them? of course you havent.

it costs them a lot of time nd energy and money to sue for 3K. Ive never heard of midland actually having a case and every single person i know who has taken them on has beaten them. You can do it but realitically you can expect to spend 10 hours a week on this site and preparing documents, every week from here till trial . A lot of the work has been done for you here but it is on you to learn and understand the law and how it applies to YOUR case. their MO is pretty boilerplate. do not send them a cent. do not acknowledge the debt is valid. do not talk to them on the phone. these things cannot help and can only hurt you. your credit is dinged for 7 years from 2012 anyway. even if you were to settle with midland it will not take the wells fargo derogatory off of your credit report

Also one thing I know is that this was reported to my credit report before they sent the summoms compliant and they never validated the debt prior to sending me a complaint. Not till I received the complaint, I then sent a validation letter.

I received a reply to a DV letter I sent when I got a summons from Midland- They sent me back a copy of a bill of sale with their signature and wells fargo  EVP  of operations signature on page 2, on the 1st page it says Bill of Sale-MY NAME OR ACCNT NUMBER IS NOT ON THIS BILL OFSALE, They blocked out in black Outstanding Balance of Accounts and Number of Accounts.

Another doc they sent me was a statement with my name and address from a year ago or a bit more and attached to that important info about your account.

Are these docs from them sufficient to make them valid on their side?

hell no they can preint up anything they want. Bill of sales never have account details and thi will be a point you argue in your case

are you saying it was sold from WF to oliphant and then olipant to midland? or was oliphant acting as a collection agent or the debt owned by wells fargo at the time. these details are important

you need to go read the 'how i beat midland in california' thread thru several times and we'll see you here with a bunch of questions i hope

Sounds like you may not have been served correctly per CCP 415.10. If that is the case, and they file a proof of service with the court, then you may want to think about filing a motion to vacate service. Also, report the process server to the local district attorney's office since that is fraud on the court. Also, a fake court summons is a violation of the law, and you can sue both the JDB and the law firm... 

-----------------

File a General Denial with the court - the form is here - http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/pld050.pdf

Add this proof of service form - http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/pos030.pdf

Send it to the Plaintiff's attorney. I personally file my answers about day 28 - this causes them to get a rejected default and irks them badly :) 

Send them a BOP pursuant to CCP 454 - this will make them provide an accounting of the alleged debt from a zero balance until today. This is something that JDBs have a lot of trouble doing. 

Sounds like you may not have been served correctly per CCP 415.10. If that is the case, and they file a proof of service with the court, then you may want to think about filing a motion to vacate service. Also, report the process server to the local district attorney's office since that is fraud on the court. Also, a fake court summons is a violation of the law, and you can sue both the JDB and the law firm... 

-----------------

File a General Denial with the court - the form is here - http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/pld050.pdf

Add this proof of service form - http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/pos030.pdf

Send it to the Plaintiff's attorney. I personally file my answers about day 28 - this causes them to get a rejected default and irks them badly :-)

Send them a BOP pursuant to CCP 454 - this will make them provide an accounting of the alleged debt from a zero balance until today. This is something that JDBs have a lot of trouble doing. 

I was served by mail and according to this link  it says mailing in California deems proper service? Tell me if I am wrong

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=ccp&group=00001-01000&file=415.10-415.95

Substitute service. They should have left the summons at your house, then followed up with the summons by mail.