Sign in to follow this  
djrazr

motion to compel discovery?

This is a follow up to my case here

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/community/topic/321836-california-mandatory-appearance-case-management-conference/

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/community/topic/321538-california-being-sued-proof-of-service-of-30-day-summons-complaint/

The plaintiff has filed motion to compel discovery and is set for 10/5/2014. I dont know what this means. I will actually be moving out of state for family reasons in march of 2014, so i wont' be here, so i assume they will get a default judgement vs me?

The plaintiff is requesting motion to compel discovery off calendar?

I assume the Motion to Compel is for January 5 2014? Above you have it typed as almost a year away?

For future, it is best to keep all of you questions related to your case in one thread, many poster won't take the time to go read 2 addtional threads to get the background to answer your qestion.

Motion to Compel discovery, implies that they sent you Request for Admissions, Request for Interoggatories or Request for Production of Documents. Apparently, you responded and they didn't like your responses or you never responded. Could be you never recieved based the way the summons was completed and them having your name wrong. Only you know this...

Moving in the middle of one of these can cause a loss. I don't know of any Civil Procedure that will slow them down based on your move.

I don't recall the amount, but if you have some extra cash you might be able to settle. After all it will get difficult for them to collect on their judgement, once you move to another state. Doesn't mean it can't be done.

I wouldn't tell them where I was going, but might mention it in the settlement discussion. Example might sound something like this: I will leaving the state in 2014, I would like to offer you 10% of your amount claimed in the complaint in a lump sum. You will want this in writing along with a settlement agreement.

If they don't like that, then sounds like Leonardo Dicaprio movie "Catch me if you Can". Just remember how the movie ends....

I assume the Motion to Compel is for January 5 2014? Above you have it typed as almost a year away?

For future, it is best to keep all of you questions related to your case in one thread, many poster won't take the time to go read 2 addtional threads to get the background to answer your qestion.

Motion to Compel discovery, implies that they sent you Request for Admissions, Request for Interoggatories or Request for Production of Documents. Apparently, you responded and they didn't like your responses or you never responded. Could be you never recieved based the way the summons was completed and them having your name wrong. Only you know this...

Moving in the middle of one of these can cause a loss. I don't know of any Civil Procedure that will slow them down based on your move.

I don't recall the amount, but if you have some extra cash you might be able to settle. After all it will get difficult for them to collect on their judgement, once you move to another state. Doesn't mean it can't be done.

I wouldn't tell them where I was going, but might mention it in the settlement discussion. Example might sound something like this: I will leaving the state in 2014, I would like to offer you 10% of your amount claimed in the complaint in a lump sum. You will want this in writing along with a settlement agreement.

If they don't like that, then sounds like Leonardo Dicaprio movie "Catch me if you Can". Just remember how the movie ends....

no, the court website says motion to compel is 10/5/2014

I never received anything from the plaintiff. There was no request for anything.

I would never tell them where i am going

Never seen "catch me if you can", but heard it was good

A MTC is a bit premature without a meet and confer letter... I'd send the other side a meet and confer and remind them of that...