Line of credit account with Boeing Credit Union

manutd

I just received a letter from PCS (Professional Credit Service).

Original Creditor is BECU.

It is a line of credit account.  The last payment was on May,2010.

Amount: $16,000

Is the LC account considered as open ended account?

I am from Washington State.  Is the statue of limitation still 6 years?

They have filed the lawsuit but they said they will if I don't reply in 14 days.

Should I sent the the DV first?

Thanks!

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/statuteLimitations.shtml

Wondering if we changed to 3 years?

I received letters from different Jdb lately.

Btw, PCS said they would sue me if I don't reply in 14 day. Can they do that?

They didn't even give me the 30 days for DV??

Anyway, I will send the Dv and call them today.

Is it a good idea?

Thanks!!!

Is it a good idea?

They can sue you tomorrow. They could have said pay it today or we sue you tomorrow. Send a DV to them.

Why would you call them? Is there a reason or strategy you have for picking up the phone?

The statute of limitations on debt in Washington limits the time you can be sued for a debt.

Oral Contract: 3 years

Written Contract: 6 years

Promissory Note: 6 years

Open-Ended Accounts: 3 years

So you said they filed a lawsuit, and if you didn't answer they will file, so which is it?

If they have not filed yet, and they don't file in 14 days that could be a violation. They threatened you and didn't follow thru.

(If they don't file)

If they do file, and this was the very first contact, it may be a violation if they did not include the language " you have 30 das to dispute this debt otherwise we will assume it is correct"

Have you had any other contact with them?

Is it a good idea?

Thanks!!!

A short, focused and timely DV is almost always a good idea for any debt collector.

Talking on the phone to a debt collector is usually not a good idea, for most people.

@shellieh98

@Credator.

Talking on the phone to a debt collector is usually not a good idea, for most people.
[\quote]

Oh I don't know about that, I like to play with them a bit. ;-)

Manutd just joking, only talk to them by written communication. :-)

I believe that you are not intimidated by collector calls and I wish a lot more consumers were in that position. You "play" girl! :-)

I don't "play" with them, but I will occasionally attempt to extract information from them on the phone. I am a fan of writing letters and USPS CMRRR.

I have spent untold hours on the phone with collectors. Most of that wasted time was before I was sued and had an idea of the scam they are playing.

I would much prefer to speak with a collection attorney than a collector. If that is not someone's experience they may be best served leaving the calls to the message machine. IMHO.

I have literally asked a collector to speak to an attorney, the collector put me on hold and came back without an attorney. I told them, "you have my number have the attorney call me". Still waiting...

My guess is a collection attorney has little interest in speaking to a consumer that is not intimidated by them. They will do so, from my experience, when the court orders "settlement talks" or they NEED to settle with me due to the bad behavior of their client and my enforcement of the law. YMMV

A couple of federal cases involving the "letter sender" PCS:

Skelley v. RAY KLEIN, INC., Civil No. 09-6242-AA (D. Or. Feb. 3, 2010).

I don't recall seeing such generic non-personal testimonials (no-name supervisor, director, manager) on a website as here on PCS: http://www.professionalcredit.com/testimonials

They can sue you tomorrow. They could have said pay it today or we sue you tomorrow. Send a DV to them.

Why would you call them? Is there a reason or strategy you have for picking up the phone?

I was thinking to get a hold them and send them DV.

Also, buy more time on researching on the SOL.

If the SOL is 3 years, I think I just passed the SOL.

The last payment was made on May 2010.

The statute of limitations on debt in Washington limits the time you can be sued for a debt.

Oral Contract: 3 years

Written Contract: 6 years

Promissory Note: 6 years

Open-Ended Accounts: 3 years

So you said they filed a lawsuit, and if you didn't answer they will file, so which is it?

If they have not filed yet, and they don't file in 14 days that could be a violation. They threatened you and didn't follow thru.

(If they don't file)

If they do file, and this was the very first contact, it may be a violation if they did not include the language " you have 30 das to dispute this debt otherwise we will assume it is correct"

Have you had any other contact with them?

They said they called multiple time. But this is the 1st letter I received from them.

And they never mentioned the 30 days for me to dispute the debt.

I will double check again tonight.

Here is the letter:

This letter is to notify you that we may file a lawsuit to collect this past due balance.  We have made many attempts to contact you in regard to the account(s) listed in this letter, and you have not responded with payment or followed throught with payment arrangements.

If we file a lawsuit, you may be required to pay our courts costs in addition to the amount due.  If you do not contact our office within 14 days from the date of this letter, we will prepare to file a lawsuit to collect this balance.

Please call xxx-xxx-xxxx to pay your accounts or to set up reasonable payment arrangements.  We appreciate your prompt attention to this past due obligation.

Note: If your check is returned unpaid we may charge you a fee up to the maximum allowed by your state.

If you dispute any of the accounts referenced below, please send all correspondence regarding the dispute to P.O. box........