Yawo64

Contract Callers- Urgent - What to DO?

Hello, 

Good Day All.  I recently began the mortgage process.  My broker pulled my credit.  

A week later, I got a call from "Contract Callers" regarding an utility (PECO) bill dating back to 2007.

The debt is about $1300, and it is valid.  The OC (Peco Energy) still owns the debt, but only assigned it to the CA.

They have not reported it yet to the CRAs, and I have not received any dunning notice.  Only 1 call about two weeks ago.

What are my options now.  I don't have $1300 outright, but can attempt a settlement offer.  Should I?

1.  Call the OC and see if they can recall the debt ( given its age, I'm not sure they will want to - in fact when I spoke with the OC about the call and the balance - I was told to contact the CA)

2.  Call the CA, and make an offer to settle for less (in exchange for not reporting)?  

-- how much will be reasonable - $600, $700?

3.  Assuming I want to pursue an offer to settle - should I send it to the the higher ups (President of) at Contract Callers?

Thanks very much, Oy

PS/  And in case someone is wondering - I DID opt-out about 6 months before beginning the mortgage process - but still got contacted  - so there are limits to opting out.

If you haven't paid anything on the bill since 2007 the SOL has expired.

If you haven't already go here and click on the blue link at the top of the page. If its on your credit reports you should file a written dispute. 

If they still keep contacting you send them a letter stating its beyond the SOL and write that "I refuse to pay". You can also tell them that all calls at any time are inconvenient.

Send it CMRR through the USPS. All communications should be in writing. Talking on the phone with these companies is usually not very productive. If they contact you more than once after they receive your letter it is a violation of your rights under the FDCPA.  

thanks, 

Since there has been no activity on the account since June 2006, doesn't it mean that the SOL has expired.  I live in NJ and the debt was contracted in PA.  

If the SOL has expired, it means they can't report it to the CRAs. Right ?

But they can attempt collection through other means, right?  What is the implication of this in terms of a mortgage applicaiton?

cheers, Yy

Since there has been no activity on the account since June 2006, doesn't it mean that the SOL has expired.  I live in NJ and the debt was contracted in PA.  

If the SOL has expired, it means they can't report it to the CRAs. Right ?

But they can attempt collection through other means, right?  What is the implication of this in terms of a mortgage applicaiton?

cheers, Yy

I assumed your location was PA which has an SOL of 4 years. Its a good possibility they are contacting you since you live in NJ that has an SOL of 6 years. I'm not sure exactly how this works with utility bills, but you are dealing with a CA. 

First I would try and figure out the date of the default. If you are definitely sure its 6 years plus a month then you are in the clear. Just make sure you didn't make any partial payments since that time. In some states a payment of 1.00 on an old debt will reset the SOL. 

If you find out for sure you are outside the SOL I would send the cease and desist letter as described above. If they violate your rights under the FDCPA you can send an ITS letter or file suit against them. I hope it doesn't get to that point, but if it does this will make it go away for good. They can continue to collect forever if you let them. That is why it is so important to go on the offensive. 

If they decide to report it to the CBs it can stay on there for 7 - 7.5 years from the original default. A simple written (not internet) dispute may take care of it. They have very little leverage since you no longer live in PA. 

I have no clue about the mortgage issue.