situation with amex and credit repair

stormie

This morning out of the blue, Amex sent me an email stating that my account was cancelled by them.  After having been an Amex customer for a good 15 years, I'm surprised that they would just suddenly cancel my account.

I called them directly and I was told that they have reviewed my FICO score and as of this month, my debt to income ratio is too high and that therefore I pose a risk. 

Here is where I have a problem:  

First of all, I have not had a credit card (besides AMEX) in the last 5 years.  I do, however, have "bad credit", but it is old bad credit.  Nothing that Amex wouldn't have noticed, say a good two years ago.

I used to have about a good 4 credit cards, but was the victim of a financial "perfect storm" - meaning that during the great recession, when my credit score was a good 790, my husband left me without warning, to live with another woman.

I was left to pay a Manhattan rent, student loans, and revolving credit card balances - all under my name.   I had lost my husband's income and was scraping by (even starving at times) to pay all of the debt on time - which included my legal fees for my divorce, which lasted for three years.    

It was during this exact point that *all* of my creditors suddenly decided to increase my interest rates from 4.9% to an exaggerated 29.99% for no other reason other than, "we are in a recession and all banks are doing this."  I tried to beg them to decrease the interest rate but to no avail.  They point blank told me - especially Citibank, that  in order for me to be considered for any type of "relief", that I would have to default and show that I cannot pay my the loans.  I told them that I didn't want to ruin my perfect score of almost 800, but they really couldn't have cared less.

Anyway, I tried to pay them off, but I couldn't.  I just wasn't making enough money, so I defaulted on all of them.  I was so resented that I never looked back in paying them.

Eventually, I was sold to "Midland Funding", whom I had successfully fought off.  

Fast forward to today and Amex's phone call, and I need help.  I am a bit pained that Amex has cancelled my account because of a declining FICO score.  I am not even sure why it had declined.  I have not used any credit cards since my husband's departure in 2006 except for Amex, which I paid off every single month.

Second, I had written the credit agencies to remove the derogatory Midland Funding cases (there were several) from my credit report, and they have been deleted.   I don't see why debt should be shown twice - one with the banks and the other with the collection agency.

But the real questions are:  

How can I fix my credit?  I do not want to start paying old debts from 2006- 2009, for fear of reinstating the SOL.  Second, these derogatory incidents  on my credit report - all which took place in 2008-2009 are to be deleted from my credit report very soon.  Does it make sense for me to even attempt to pay them?  How else can I fix this declining FICO score?  If I do not have any credit at all, except for my debit card, how can I establish credit all over again??

Help!  ::drowning::

@stormie

So sorry about your trouble with AmEx.

Personally, I would not start paying debts that are outside the SOL.  The older entries are going to to fall off on their own in a year or two.  But you can dispute them.   Who knows?  The furnishers may not bother verifying them, and they'll have to be deleted.

The reason the OC and a collection agency can both report an account is because our CRs are our credit history.   A collection account is part of that history.

In regard to establishing credit, you might try applying for a store card.  If you're not approved, try a secured credit card.  My son once took out a small loan with a local bank, put the money in savings, and used it to pay off the loan.