student loans

JGator

My wife has 2 student loans that I married her with. We have kids and she no longer works. A few years ago they went to collections which I have been paying them since. One is $200 and the other is $270 per month.

I am considering getting out of the military and my take a pay cut. If I can't afford these bills what's going to happen? They are not in my name but can I still be held liable?

When it comes to student loans the government's powers to collect are quite extensive.  If you are going to stop paying on them you want to make sure her name is off ALL bank accounts.  Any joint account you have together they can garnish.  They cannot garnish YOUR paychecks for her loans.  They can also intercept tax refunds so you would have to be prepared to fight as an innocent spouse for your portion of the refund if you file jointly.