Need Some Advise Getting Collections Removing From Credit Report

Axel

Im new to this game I hope this is the right section.

I have an issue here that I can't seem to figure out.

Let me explain, My wife’s credit was looking great till about July when me moved (From PA to SC) We couldn’t understand why the electric co wanted a deposit, we shrugged it off and just paid. Since her credit is not that established we just thought it must be the company they were using to check that was giving a false positive for bad credit/no credit...

We are wanting to buy a house soon so getting things in order, we checked her credit a about a week ago; This is when we see there are two collections that have been reported (They are both small $20 odd and $200 odd ) The thing is we didn’t receive any bills for these or any thing from the CA...

Since the first we hear about this is it being reported as a collection on her credit report, I believe there is a massive error here..

I was going to pursue asking for a delete for payment ( http://www.creditinfocenter.com/debt/pay-for-delete.shtml )

The first step is to send a Letter to Validate Debt ( http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forms/sampleletter9.shtml ) This seems to assume they have phoned or at least sent a letter saying that the money is owed.

I do recall getting one letter but it looked like a scam it was just a letter sating you owe us $x.xx with no info about what it was, who they were or who they were collecting for etc. (Not even sure we still have it, It really looked like a scam or spam at least; so not sure it was even from either of these two.)

My question is that if we were not given the opportunity to pay these before they went into collections or told that they were about to go into collections and then were not even alerted to the fact that they were in collections, We had to find that out months after when we checked her credit report...

Another thought Since they NEVER sent anything registered mail or "sign for" mail (The one mail we did receive again cannot be sure it was from either of them Was just a regular letter) They have no proof that they sent us ANTHING.

Is this legal for them to do, Do they not have to give you a chance to pay before reporting?

What is the best course of action to get these removed quickly?

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

Best regards

A

Another thought Since they NEVER sent anything registered mail or "sign for" mail (The one mail we did receive again cannot be sure it was from either of them Was just a regular letter) They have no proof that they sent us ANTHING.

First you need to get past the "certified mail" issue because absolutely NOTHING in the FDCPA requires they have proof you received their communication only that they attempted it.  As long as they can produce letter(s) they mailed to you they are covered.  They do NOT ever have to prove you received the communication.

Is this legal for them to do, Do they not have to give you a chance to pay before reporting?

Yes, it is legal.  The ONLY requirement under the FCRA is that the account they reported and the amount owed be accurate.  There is no requirement that you be warned they are going to report.  Good accounts that pay on time are reported just as those consumers don't pay.  The way the creditor sees it they sent you X number of bills that were ignored and only when it DID affect your credit did you decide to pay attention to it.  It is the biggest leverage they have besides a lawsuit.

What is the best course of action to get these removed quickly?

If the debts are legitimate and yours PFD is the fastest.  If they are not even yours why pay it?  

So then I guess just go though with the PFD, starting off with a debt validation letter, see what they come back with and take it from there.

I understand what you are saying but I think thats a bit wrong, I mean had we know about the bill it would have gotten paid :/

Hopefully we can sort this out

Thank you for the reply

@Axel

Let me explain, My wife’s credit was looking great till about July when me moved (From PA to SC) We couldn’t understand why the electric co wanted a deposit, we shrugged it off and just paid. Since her credit is not that established we just thought it must be the company they were using to check that was giving a false positive for bad credit/no credit...

I apologize, but I'm not clear on the details.  Did you pay a deposit?   If not, could you please offer a more succinct description of your situation?

I understand what you are saying but I think thats a bit wrong, I mean had we know about the bill it would have gotten paid :/

One major problem is that you moved from PA to SC.  There is no requirement that they update your mailing address only that they send a bill to a last known address.  If your mail forwarding had not yet started or had expired they could have been mailing it to your former address where the new resident simply tossed the letter.  Also, by your own admission you did receive A letter and it could have been related to at least one of the accounts but you made an assumption and did not follow up on the reason for the contact.

You also had the opportunity when you were asked to pay a security deposit for utilities to pull credit then and find out what was triggering the request instead of assuming that it was a thin file.  

FYI:  ANY time you move it is a good idea to pull your own credit to know what is going to show up when landlords, utilities and other new accounts are going to need to be established.  Thankfully when I moved Georgia Power issues a letter of credit to customers closing their accounts to give to the new utility companies to demonstrate reliability for establishing new service.  It also isn't issued until the account is PIF and closed.

I apologize, but I'm not clear on the details.  Did you pay a deposit?   If not, could you please offer a more succinct description of your situation?

They moved from PA to SC.  The new electric service provider required a security deposit due to negative credit information but the OP and his wife assumed it was due to a thin file and paid it to get the new account.  NOW they want to buy a house and have discovered it wasn't a thin file that triggered the security deposit but two negative accounts in collections.  They want them gone and are looking for the fastest way.

They moved from PA to SC.  The new electric service provider required a security deposit due to negative credit information but the OP and his wife assumed it was due to a thin file and paid it to get the new account.  NOW they want to buy a house and have discovered it wasn't a thin file that triggered the security deposit but two negative accounts in collections.  They want them gone and are looking for the fastest way.

Exactly, The debt its self looks like doctor bills from what I can see on the credit report.

Our mailing address was and still is forwarded since before we moved also to my surprise a few places even updated out address without us prompting them to do so, So im not sure why we didnt recive anything.

The bills should have reached us before we moved, And if the CA did send us something it should have also been before we moved looking at the dates.

The letters will be sent out soon

Thanx Again

A