PRG Calling for the Wrong Person

buckeyechick1219

It's been a long time since I've visited this site, but it was the first place I thought to go when I received a call from PRG today. 

I received a voicemail on my unlisted cell phone this afternoon. Before I even had a chance to listen to the message, I got a phone call from my husband telling me that he had received a phone call from somebody from the fraud department at PRG looking for my brother. He told them he wasn't the person they were looking for, that he was his brother in law. They asked if my husband was in contact with my brother, which he replied no and asked them how they got his cell phone number. They told my husband that they had his number on file.

I told my husband I wasn't sure what they were calling for and listened to my message.

"This message is solely intended for one *Name Removed*. Bobby Freeman calling from the Fraud Investigation Unit of PRG. *Name Removed*, I needed to touch base with either yourself and or your attorney regarding a civil complaint being filed. In an effort to resolve this matter, I would need to obtain a verbal statement. I can be reached toll free 1-888-814-8696 ext XXX. When calling reference file number ######. Be advised that your failure to address this issue may result in further actions. Thank you."

Now, it's been a very long time since I've had to deal with collectors, but I'm pretty sure they should not have called myself nor my husband. We were not listed as references on whatever this account was, we have had no dealings with my brothers finances, I haven't even lived in the same home as my brother in more than 15 years. The numbers they called are cell phone numbers that we got around 2004 and have never belonged to my brother. We don't even have the same last name as him. I'm not sure how they got my information, I'm pretty sure they broke some laws in providing the information they did to both my husband in the voicemail to myself, and I'm just really not sure where to go from here. 

I immediately called my mom and told her not to answer any questions and to advise my siblings and other family of the same. A quick search of the internet shows that PRG is not only a JDB, but that they use illegal tactics to try and collect money and I'm afraid that they'll call my grandparents next, because they have the same last name or because they've shared an address in the last 20 years. Is it possible for me to send PRG a cease and desist if they continue calling me, given that I am not the individual on the account (I have seen reports across the internet where this has occurred)?

I don't know if my brother is or isn't responsible for this debt. I have not ever been involved in his finances, but I also want to make sure that he does not get taken by this company if they somehow reach him (as of today, they have not). 

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

It's been a long time since I've visited this site, but it was the first place I thought to go when I received a call from PRG today. 

I received a voicemail on my unlisted cell phone this afternoon. Before I even had a chance to listen to the message, I got a phone call from my husband telling me that he had received a phone call from somebody from the fraud department at PRG looking for my brother. He told them he wasn't the person they were looking for, that he was his brother in law. They asked if my husband was in contact with my brother, which he replied no and asked them how they got his cell phone number. They told my husband that they had his number on file.

I told my husband I wasn't sure what they were calling for and listened to my message.

"This message is solely intended for one *Name Removed*. Bobby Freeman calling from the Fraud Investigation Unit of PRG. *Name Removed*, I needed to touch base with either yourself and or your attorney regarding a civil complaint being filed. In an effort to resolve this matter, I would need to obtain a verbal statement. I can be reached toll free 1-888-814-8696 ext XXX. When calling reference file number ######. Be advised that your failure to address this issue may result in further actions. Thank you."

Now, it's been a very long time since I've had to deal with collectors, but I'm pretty sure they should not have called myself nor my husband. We were not listed as references on whatever this account was, we have had no dealings with my brothers finances, I haven't even lived in the same home as my brother in more than 15 years. The numbers they called are cell phone numbers that we got around 2004 and have never belonged to my brother. We don't even have the same last name as him. I'm not sure how they got my information, I'm pretty sure they broke some laws in providing the information they did to both my husband in the voicemail to myself, and I'm just really not sure where to go from here. 

I immediately called my mom and told her not to answer any questions and to advise my siblings and other family of the same. A quick search of the internet shows that PRG is not only a JDB, but that they use illegal tactics to try and collect money and I'm afraid that they'll call my grandparents next, because they have the same last name or because they've shared an address in the last 20 years. Is it possible for me to send PRG a cease and desist if they continue calling me, given that I am not the individual on the account (I have seen reports across the internet where this has occurred)?

I don't know if my brother is or isn't responsible for this debt. I have not ever been involved in his finances, but I also want to make sure that he does not get taken by this company if they somehow reach him (as of today, they have not). 

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

See my PM to you.