Used book and methods years ago-ready to help my wife question (Discover)

tst888

Hello,

I used Good Credit Is Sexy @7 years ago. It was EXTREMELY successful. Did the debt validation and literally cleaned up my entire file with 20+ items. I think I probably suggested it to 10 people over the years, it is that good. Thankfully, I've kept my own credit clean since then.

I'm wanting to help my wife now with 1 item, a 60 day late on Discover.

My question is this........what I did in the past involved all old closed accounts. This Discover is an open and active account in good standing, just has a 60 day late on all 3 bureaus from approx 2 years ago. I will need to repurchase the book but I assume there are methods for this situation? Since a different situation from what I dealt with, I thought I would ask.

Thanks so much for any advice. 

Try a goodwill letter to Discover.  A simple letter stating that the late payment was a one time aberration and has not happened again for two years should get them to delete it.

Thanks Clydesmom. My one concern is that if I try a goodwill letter and it fails, that could be seen as admission, and potentially used against us if we have to resort to other methods later?

You could also just dispute directly with the CRA's and go through the process of disputes - such as "not mine" - "never late", etc.

The problem with that method in this situation is it isn't true and this is NOT an old account it is open and active.  The OP did pay 60 days late and if this is disputed through the CRAs with a lie then the chances of a goodwill letter working with the creditor are nil.  

I had lates removed from a loan that was paid off via a good will letter.  The creditor simply changed it to "no data" and this is what I think Discover will do.  Especially since it was two years ago and there have been no late payments since.  They are very likely to go for it being a one time aberration and get rid of the entries.

• Like 1