Security Clearance Issue.

Mantis Knight

Does anyone know where to find information on how to deal with old debts that are holding up security clearance?

I've got two midland trade lines. Currently I've requested validation (received typical last bill report), disputed with credit bureaus (came back verified), requested method of verification (no response. Turned over to attorney general), sent 623 letters (response due in two weeks).

One of the problems seems to be that the midland trade lines show open dates that represent when they bought the debt, not when the debt was created.

I don't remember any of the items in dispute and they are all past statute of limitations. In a year they won't even be on my credit history. Midland lied to the BBB and now claims I asked for a cease and desist, I have a recording that clearly has me not requesting that action.  In a response to my CFPB complaint they sent a letter that starts out referring to me and then starts referring to a woman.

I also thought of adding the documentation of Midlands recent loss against attorney generals over the robo signing issue.

Does anyone know where to find information on how to deal with old debts that are holding up security clearance?

Here is the problem you have:  this is related to obtaining or maintaining a security clearance,.  That information is not typically available to the public as the government does not want enemies knowing how to circumvent our system or compromise government workers.  The basic answer is depending on the level of security clearance and why it is needed the employee cannot have any outstanding debt on their credit report.  It makes them an at risk employee.

I don't remember any of the items in dispute and they are all past statute of limitations. In a year they won't even be on my credit history.

They may be past the SOL for suing you but that has NOTHING to do with getting your security clearance.  There are two SOLs:  one for reporting and one for lawsuits.  Except in a couple of states that have unusually long SOLs for suit of 10 years the SOL for reporting is typically a year or more longer than the SOL for suit in most states.  So even though they can no longer sue you it does NOT mean they cannot report the debt for up to 7 years 6 months past the DOFD.

NONE of the other stuff will help you getting it off quickly for the purpose of a security clearance.  The government has limited patience in dealing with debts and employees with a need for a SC.

This situation is the same or worse than needing a clean report for a mortgage because you close in 10 days and it just got poisoned.  If you are in a situation where it is get it cleaned or lose the job offer or lose your job your only option is PFD or pay it because the government won't wait forever while you attempt all the credit repair processes.

Here is the problem you have:  this is related to obtaining or maintaining a security clearance,.  That information is not typically available to the public as the government does not want enemies knowing how to circumvent our system or compromise government workers.  The basic answer is depending on the level of security clearance and why it is needed the employee cannot have any outstanding debt on their credit report.  It makes them an at risk employee.

They may be past the SOL for suing you but that has NOTHING to do with getting your security clearance.  There are two SOLs:  one for reporting and one for lawsuits.  Except in a couple of states that have unusually long SOLs for suit of 10 years the SOL for reporting is typically a year or more longer than the SOL for suit in most states.  So even though they can no longer sue you it does NOT mean they cannot report the debt for up to 7 years 6 months past the DOFD.

NONE of the other stuff will help you getting it off quickly for the purpose of a security clearance.  The government has limited patience in dealing with debts and employees with a need for a SC.

This situation is the same or worse than needing a clean report for a mortgage because you close in 10 days and it just got poisoned.  If you are in a situation where it is get it cleaned or lose the job offer or lose your job your only option is PFD or pay it because the government won't wait forever while you attempt all the credit repair processes.

This is not about circumvention, I have not attempted to hide my past. At this point Midland is no longer interested in taking my calls or responding to my letters. How exactly am I supposed to deal with a debt that refuses contact?

At this point it looks more and more like I will need to file suit in order to deal with these two lines.

This is not about circumvention, I have not attempted to hide my past. At this point Midland is no longer interested in taking my calls or responding to my letters. How exactly am I supposed to deal with a debt that refuses contact?

I am not suggesting you are trying to circumvent anything.  You could advertise on a billboard in the center of town that Midland has two entries on your CR but if the requirement for the clearance is that they not be there the billboard won't help you.   The problem is that (as the other person responding said) Midland has the leverage.  Normal debt dispute methods will not work when a security clearance is in question. 

At this point it looks more and more like I will need to file suit in order to deal with these two lines.

That could take a year or more to work itself out.  The government may or may not wait while you do that.  Every agency sets its own requirements for hiring and the government sets security clearance requirements.  Depending on your job and what is involved they may or may not work with you while you resolve this.   When it comes to a security clearance it isn't that the government isn't concerned with WHY it is there on your CR only that it is there.  If you cannot get it removed or resolved in the time frame the government agencies are working with to fill this job then you will lose it.