Cleaning CR, who do I send letters to first??

First of all, thank you to all that have responded to so many of our questions!!  Your knowledge, advice and support is greatly appreciated!!

I am trying to clean up my CR's because I'd like to apply for a mortgage.

I have adverse accounts that are passed the SOL, and based on my research, so many details are time-sensitive.  After reviewing the Debt Validation flow chart on your website, do I send the dispute letters to the CRA's and the Cease and Desist letters to the CA's at the same time?  Or is it better to deal with the CRA's first...or the CA's first?

Thank you!!!

So, after researching and re-reading many articles and posts, I found the answer to my question and wanted to share it.

On the Home Page, click on Debt Validation.  There is a great article on DV and as you scroll down, there is a section entitled "The Debt Validation Strategy" and in that section is an "illustration of the process". 

Once you click on that there is a great Workflow chart.  (I'm a visual learner, so the chart was exactly what I needed!)  Just above the chart it states:  "You need to start the Credit Bureau process along with the Collection Agency process at the same time."

I hope this helps!!

I started following your thread because I had the same question. The only thing is that I had already seen that flow chart. The problem I'm having is the only sample debt validation letters I can find on the internet are directed towards debt collectors. Can someone elaborate if the letter to the credit bureau should be the same as to the debt collector.

I did read on my credit report an address to send disputes to all the bureaus at once. I will post back when I look up the address.

There are a bunch of free sample letters on this website.  I'm not computer savvy, so I can't forward the link, but it's easy to find.

Go to the Homepage.  On the left side of the page, there is a list of options to click on.  Click on "Sample Letters".  That is where you will probably find what you need.  If not, sometimes there are other letters in people's posts, but that takes some research.  Altho, reading the posts is a great way to learn!

Good Luck!

@Sunflower1999

When you say "past the SOL", do you mean that they are past your state's SOL for collection?  If so, that doesn't mean that the accounts can automatically be removed from your CR.  Negative accounts can be reported for 7 years from the date of first delinquency (DOFD) that's reported by the original creditor (OC). 

Your first dispute for each entry should be with the credit reporting agencies.  Are all of the entries being reported accurately?  If so, try disputing as "not mine".  If the furnishers verify the entries with each CRA, dispute the amount or some other aspect of the entries.  Who knows?   One or more the furnishers may not bother verifying, and the CRAs would then have to delete an entry.

If those disputes fail, then you would dispute directly with the furnishers. 

If the entries are being reported accurately, there's no sure-fire way to get them removed.

@michael61182 - a debt validation letter is just for the collection agencies, debt collectors, or junk debt buyers - basically all the bottom feeders of the debt world.   You are wanting them to 'prove' they own the debt and are legally entitled to collect it from you.  That is basically the premise of using it - if they can't validate the debt they are trying to collect on, they can't collect it from you.   http://www.creditinfocenter.com/rebuild/debt_validation.shtml  Is an article that explains it in more detail.

Now, you are disputing "inaccurate" information with the Credit Bureaus.  So, if your name is spelled wrong, wrong balance due on a trade line, etc., then you send a dispute letter to the CRA's.  They turn around and verify the information with the OC and CA.  Read this article and it will take you step by step on how to fix your credit reports - http://www.creditinfocenter.com/repair/Repair.shtml

If you want to negotiate and settle your debts with the Original Creditor - read this - http://www.creditinfocenter.com/debt/originalcreditor_debtsettlement.shtml

And - here is the link to a bunch of sample letters to use when repairing your credit - http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forms/