Can I Be Found By Pulling My Credit?

sc1776

Ok so I don't want to get into the gory details here in this thread, but the short version is as far as I know my credit is a raging mess.  There may be summary judgements for properties and credit cards.  I'm being told that pulling my credit is the best place to start but I'm terrified to do that b/c I'm convinced that I can be tracked that way.  As of right now none of my creditors can find me.  To be honest I'm tired of living under a rock or feeling like I'm a fudgetive.  I want to take care of my situation but I am frankly overwhelmed and don't have a clue where to start.   I appreciate the help and apologize if this post is in the wrong place.  I wrestled with where to post but b/c the initial question is about pulling credit I figured it was the place to start.  Thanks again!

Go to www.annualcreditreport.com and order your free reports.

Can you be tracked?  Maybe.  Some creditors do pay the CRAs to report recent activity to them.  But, until you see your actual reports, you can't fix them.

On the other hand, if a creditor really wanted to find you...they would have by now.  If you pay taxes, have a bank account, get mail...they have many, many ways of finding you.

• Like 4

So even if I view my credit online?  And @Dee what do you mean you deleted old addresses off your account?  Do you mean on your credit report?  

Oh and kind of a separate question but I have read that garnishment can be up to 25% of your income, is that 25% total or each creditor can take up to 25%?  

Oh and thank you both for your reply :) 

With the advent of the internet, it's almost impossible to hide. It can be done, but it's a lot harder. If your on any kind of disability like SS or VA, whatever they can't touch that. If any wages are being garnished, (not in TX) then they may have to wait inline to get more.

Ok so that's a bit of a relief LOL...I kept picturing that everyone could get up to 25% so at the end of the day I would have NOTHING LOL...How does a real estate judgment work?  So say a lender had a default summary judgement for a piece on a piece of property?  What could I do or where would I start to look and learn about that?  Thanks all for the help...this is an extremely terrifying situation but I get some comfort knowing 1) I'm not alone 2) ppl have been down a similar road 3) there's info out there so maybe I can begin to correct my situation.  Yall are awesome and a blessing for sure...

I deleted all old addresses off of my account last week 7 days ago and this past Saturday I received my first collection letter after 2 years, so they found me.

I doubt just pulling your credit caused this. Deleting the addresses is considered "activity" and that is probably what alerted them. I have accounts that I could successfully dispute, but I'm not doing anything until the SOL expires on everything else. 

• Like 1

Back in the day when my husband and I were trying to hide from creditors/collectors, we changed our address to one of those UPS store address - where they have mail boxes.  And, when I filled out the information at the store, I put down a fictitious address - because I was afraid of someone subpoenaing their records and finding my real address.  It actually did work (we also had to do some other maneuvering since collections agencies can get your information from utility records) for a bit and gave us some breathing room from collectors hounding us while we tried to sort through our financial mess.

Back in the day when my husband and I were trying to hide from creditors/collectors, we changed our address to one of those UPS store address - where they have mail boxes.  And, when I filled out the information at the store, I put down a fictitious address - because I was afraid of someone subpoenaing their records and finding my real address.  It actually did work (we also had to do some other maneuvering since collections agencies can get your information from utility records) for a bit and gave us some breathing room from collectors hounding us while we tried to sort through our financial mess.

Now a days the UPS store takes your drivers license and requires your true home address for a UPS mail box. This happened since 911.  Also UPS stores are authorized to accept service. While you may not be using UPS, best to check with your mail box location and their procedure.

So even if I view my credit online?  And @Dee what do you mean you deleted old addresses off your account?  Do you mean on your credit report?  

Oh and kind of a separate question but I have read that garnishment can be up to 25% of your income, is that 25% total or each creditor can take up to 25%?  

Oh and thank you both for your reply :-)

As a part of credit repair it is advised to delete old addresses from your credit reports. I went in online and deleted all of my old addresses on the CRA's website and sure enough I received a letter from Midland

As a part of credit repair it is advised to delete old addresses from your credit reports. I went in online and deleted all of my old addresses on the CRA's website and sure enough I received a letter from Midland

It may have been the activity that triggered it.  Often what the CAs and JDBs monitor for is actual activity.  Removing addresses is a clear signal that a consumer is getting ready to clean up their credit.  Perfect time for the cockroaches to come out of the wood work and demand payment.

• Like 2

So against my own advice I decided to do a test to see what activity triggers collectors. All I did was dispute an old telephone number on my report. Within a couple of hours they sent back a response that the dispute was closed. 

I have already received three phone calls from the same number. I Googled it and it is a collection agency from Buffalo, NY. I don't think this is a coincidence since I have not received a phone call or letter in almost a year.  :hmm:

Its amazing how all of this has happened in less than 6 hours!  xjawdropx

So against my own advice I decided to do a test to see what activity triggers collectors. All I did was dispute an old telephone number on my report. Within a couple of hours they sent back a response that the dispute was closed. 

I have already received three phone calls from the same number. I Googled it and it is a collection agency from Buffalo, NY. I don't think this is a coincidence since I have not received a phone call or letter in almost a year.  :hmm:

Its amazing how all of this has happened in less than 6 hours!  

Now that you mention this about a month ago I disputed an obsolete collection.  Sure enough in the past month since then I have received three scam calls about an alleged pay day loan, 4 calls from four different numbers to home and cell with no message, and a new letter for a supposed collection.

Sounds like proof to me that when you make positive moves on your CR the cockroaches wake up.

Sounds like proof to me that when you make positive moves on your CR the cockroaches wake up.

I'm guessing an automated system picks up the activity and sends it to an auto dialing system.  Equifax informed me that the number was deleted and the first call came within minutes. Of course I'm not answering the phone and I doubt they will be dumb enough to leave a message. The CA is a real collection agency, but I'm not sure about the account. 

Yep.  In theory, anyone with "permissible purpose" can now pay the CRAs to monitor your credit reports.  Any...repeat any...activity triggers  an automatic alert (via internet) to their server or email account.  So, you might get a letter (cheap) or you might pop up on one of the CAs phone jockeys screens (there's a software app for that).

ETA:  Depending on the package, and how much the OC/CA/JDB is willing to spend..."activity" may be limited to inquiries or disputes or may include any adverse reporting (which is how "universal default" clause get triggered).

Isn't it wonderful to live in the computer age?

• Like 2

They are not going to find you just because you pulled your credit report.  

@admin - I guess what concerns me is that MOST times in the past when I have tried to pull my credit online it never completes successfully.  I'm always left with the "sorry we couldn't identify you but we can send you your report in the mail" option.  I'm afraid if I do that then I'll be back on the radar...I'm trying to avoid that until I have a plan in place...but its kinda hard to get a plan together when I can see my situation...