Vallie

received a call about being served papers. please help.

5 minutes ago, REBECCASTONE said:

i GOT A CALL YESTERDAY BY A GUY NAMED DAN LARKEN HE SAID THAT HE WOULD BE AT MY HOME TO SERVE ME BETWEEN 1 AND 3 AND GAVE ME A NUMBER TO CALL WITH A CASE NUMBER, THEN HE CALLED MY WORK WHICH WAS ODD HAVE NO IDEA HOW HE GOT THAT NUMBER I'VE ONLY WORKED HERE A YEAR, ASKED FOR ME BUT I WAS NOT IN TOLD Y CO WORKER THAT HER WOULD BE AT MY JOB BETWEEN  1 AND 3 AND I NEED TO CALL THEM TO RE-SCHEDULE  IF I WAS NOT GOING TO BE THERE OR DON'T WANT TO BE EMBARRASSED BY BEGING SERVICED - I DIDN'T CALL THEM BACK. 

It’s a scam.  Legitimate process servers will not call and warn you ahead of time that you are going to be served.  I can pretty much guarantee no one is going to show up. 

If you want to ease your mind, call your clerk of court and ask if a lawsuit has been filed against you.  

Got a call yesterday and today from a woman stating she was from a company called NPS? Was giving me a courtesy call to advise me papers with my name and social came across her desk and was coming out to serve me papers today,  left 855 area code number and claim number to call. Looked up company on bbb website and Google nothing, nor the number came up. I *67 my number and called them back and all they said was "claims department." I hung up.  "Called my buddy who's an attorney and he said it's a scam. Dont call them back. They called again this morning and stated the same message that they're coming out to serve me today and to make myself available with Id. Even stated my last 4 of social. I'll be home...

And I bet no one comes. The attorney was correct, this is a scam. Most process servers will not call before serving papers, especially in an adversarial relationship as this is because who would be home if they did. If a case has been filed against you (and you can check your county's court website to see if one has), the process server will show up unannounced.