What do you do if you didn't ask for Debt Validation within 30 days?

halohonk

I have a utilities collection for a 2 year old bill of $501.66 with First Collection Services. They sent me a Demand for Payment letter saying that "Be advised that you have five (5) days to remit the remaining balance on your account to prevent further collection efforts." I had DV'd the prior CA and they validated. I thought I'd DV'd First Collection as well when they sent their initial letter 6 months ago but I now realize that I did not. They are not making phone calls nor reporting to any credit bureau.

What is the best thing to do here? I've heard that you can send a dispute letter past 30 days. Should I try that, or just do nothing?

I have a utilities collection for a 2 year old bill of $501.66 with First Collection Services. They sent me a Demand for Payment letter saying that "Be advised that you have five (5) days to remit the remaining balance on your account to prevent further collection efforts." I had DV'd the prior CA and they validated. I thought I'd DV'd First Collection as well when they sent their initial letter 6 months ago but I now realize that I did not. They are not making phone calls nor reporting to any credit bureau.

What is the best thing to do here? I've heard that you can send a dispute letter past 30 days. Should I try that, or just do nothing?

A DV letter within 30 days or after 30 days is not some magical letter.

Despite the fact that I would routinely send a DV letter to anyone dunning me, if no one is calling me or reporting to a CR I am not sure what reason I would have to want to send a DV letter.

That said, if the (5) days to remit letter is a recent letter *I* would probably push back with a letter. Call it a DV letter if you want but it really isn't one under the FDCPA. It simply a communication where I would dispute the debt and request what I wanted: validation, C&D, arbitration, keys to the city ;-) etc. If I push back I need to be willing to accept whatever response/heat it may produce. They could fail to reply to my response but if they are not calling they would have cut off the only communication they had. Then again they could call 1-800-sue-them and have an attorney pursue it. I am OK with whatever transpires and that is why *I* would be comfortable sending a letter.