Creditor calling when account is not past due

Newbie222

Received a call from First Premier today. Also received one yesterday at this same time, but didn't answer. Both times: unknown. # (blocked). Payment is due TODAY (and I plan to make the payment today). Have never been late on payment to them. They deemed it a "courtesy call" when I asked why they were calling now, but the phrasing was very heavy on, "Do you plan to make this payment? Can we make this payment using your checking account? Is there an alternate phone #?"...very much like a collections call.

Does anyone know if they can legally call you and push for payment PRIOR to the payment being past due? Thank you!

This is perfectly legal as they are the original creditor, you have a business relationship with them, and it is probably in the contract that you signed. You could ask them to not do that but they will probably ignore you.

Is this a credit card, car loan, or mortgage. Depending on the account type and whether it is prime or sub-prime, they might decide to do stuff like this. I would just tell them that you intend to deal with the bill yourself today and then say goodbye and hang up. You cannot stop them from calling but you can end the call quickly.

Is this a credit card, car loan, or mortgage. Depending on the account type and whether it is prime or sub-prime, they might decide to do stuff like this. 

First Premier is a sub prime credit card that I think is issued by Satan.  The best response is to pay it off and close it.  

• Like 2

Guest usctrojanalum

Creditors have been doing this lately because they absolutely took a beating after 2008.  Creditors never used to call unless payments were 30 days passed due.  Then they started calling 7 days passed due, then a single day passed due, now they are calling if the payment is not made a few days prior to the due date.  It's a tough world we live in now.

I got wise after the financial collapse, I spent the past 6 years paying off all unsecured debt and now I only use my credit cards and LOC's as a back-up to my six month emergency fund.

Thanks for all the info. I figured there wouldn't be any legal violations (though it stinks, eh?), but wanted to verify with those certainly more well versed in creditor issues! Thanks again for the help. PS Yes, they're Satan. Yes, it was emergencies. Yes, I'm paying it down/off ASAP.

Creditors have been doing this lately because they absolutely took a beating after 2008.  Creditors never used to call unless payments were 30 days passed due.  Then they started calling 7 days passed due, then a single day passed due, now they are calling if the payment is not made a few days prior to the due date.  It's a tough world we live in now.

I got wise after the financial collapse, I spent the past 6 years paying off all unsecured debt and now I only use my credit as a back-up to my six month emergency fund.

I have one subprime card that will be closed before any annual fee hits and they have never once called me regarding the account.  I have 2 Cap1 cards and they have never called me except the one time I was working with their executive office on a credit line increase. 

First Premier is AWFUL.