tallguy

Strength of different collections agencies?

Been reading some more and I am starting to pick up on the fact that some of these collection companies are push overs and some won't budge? If you could give me some advice on these guys I would appreciate it. Of course I am going to dispute with the bureau's first but if that fails some good tips would be helpful.

1. CAP ONE $400 from 2011

2. Midland $900 from 2011

3. CCR Services? got a $100 traffic ticket(camera caught me running light) lol

4. Amerifinancial Solutions $700 from 2011 - medical ER visit - had insurance dont know why I was billed

5. Stern & Associates has like 3 different ones on me for all under $20?

6. RC Clark - $50 - 2012

7. National Credit System $1400 from 2013 - apartment complex went to collections, property mgr said I could leave no charge, then showed up on report 2 months later

8. Calvary Portfolio - $750 form 2012 - I think someone opened this in my name(angry ex)

9. Time Warner and power company send me to collections for unpaid expenses when I moved(not sure company, says online services and receiveables performa, whatever that is)

10. EOS CCA - has me down for some lab work? $50 2013

11.ZALES/CBNA - $650 - 2008

These medical bills are werid because I have insurance and never received bills in the mail for them. Weird.

Would anyone like to share their plan of attack on this? Or give me a heads up on what to expect from these collectors? Im obviously disputing credit bureaus first. If there are verifiable ones should how should I deal with them. I guess thats where Im stuck. Do I just keep writing the credit bureaus with a million different reasons or should I just bite the bullet and deal with these guys and get it out of the way?  My goal is to delete everything. If I can't do that what would be the next best thing? Obviously settling with them for less money, but if I can get a pay for delete what are the other things they can put down that dont sound so bad. Thanks

1. CAP ONE $400 from 2011  Does not do PFD EVER.  You will live with this for the entire reporting period.  

2. Midland $900 from 2011   

3. CCR Services? got a $100 traffic ticket(camera caught me running light) lol  This is a fine and they may not do PFD because of that status.

4. Amerifinancial Solutions $700 from 2011 - medical ER visit - had insurance dont know why I was billed  Even though you have insurance that does not mean you don't owe them money for your out of pocket portion.  This cannot be "settled" if you used insurance for a lesser amount as that IS illegal.  It is illegal rebating and the provider will NOT do it.  

5. Stern & Associates has like 3 different ones on me for all under $20?

6. RC Clark - $50 - 2012

7. National Credit System $1400 from 2013 - apartment complex went to collections, property mgr said I could leave no charge, then showed up on report 2 months later  If you don't have that in writing from the manager then it means NOTHING.  

8. Calvary Portfolio - $750 form 2012 - I think someone opened this in my name(angry ex)  Do a FACTA and police report on this account and report it.  That should get it off while they investigate and IF it is hers they will take care of it.

9. Time Warner and power company send me to collections for unpaid expenses when I moved(not sure company, says online services and receiveables performa, whatever that is)  These are RIPE for PFD and TWC is one that I did it on for a lesser amount.

10. EOS CCA - has me down for some lab work? $50 2013  This amount is so small PFD for the full amount should work.  

11.ZALES/CBNA - $650 - 2008

The statute of limitations for lawsuits in NY is 6 years.  ANYTHING within that SOL you should leave alone unless you have at least 70-80% of the money to settle it.  

The medical debt you need to get the EOMBs on and see what your responsible portion is.  Then you can make arrangements with the hospital to pay it.  NEVER pay the CA.  The provider is the ONLY one that can agree to delete the TL and despite what some people claim or you read on other sites there is no magical "method" to remove medical debt.  It is legal under HIPAA to report it and it isn't a violation for the CA to report a paid collection.  It MIGHT get deleted in a dispute if the CA no longer has a business agreement with the provider and by law cannot validate because the hospital under HIPAA can no longer verify the debt with the CA.  This happens more often with OLDER debt not newer medical debt.

The biggest problem is the debt is all less than 3 years old which means they likely still have the records to verify.  I can tell you without a doubt that Cap1 is NOT going to delete but as new as the account is a paid charge off account will hurt far less for the next 4 years than one that was not paid once you get a good credit history going.  The one thing that is probably hurting you just as much as the negatives is that there are probably more negative than positive trade lines reporting.   The ONLY thing that is guaranteed to fix this is TIME.  

I'm going to add to what @Clydesmom said:  YMMV

It is difficult to predict what an OC or CA will do in any given case.  OC's change management all the time...the new VP in charge of making the debtors cough up money starts with the assumption that whatever the old guy was doing was wrong...so their policies change.  Or, maybe, the government notices they weren't playing nice, so again, their policies change.

CAs have quotas...both internal and external with the clients.  How they react in a given situation depends on how much revenue they have to generate.  Also, many of the larger CAs and JDBs are actually loose collections of semi-independent offices spread out around the country.  What one office does isn't what all offices do.

Thanks for the info guys. I just actually got off the phone with the lady from:

7. National Credit System $1400 from 2013 - apartment complex went to collections, property mgr said I could leave no charge, then showed up on report 2 months later If you don't have that in writing from the manager then it means NOTHING.

not having that in writing definately killed me and it sounded like she had a lot of paperwork detailing what happened. However, I asked why I never received any indication that I owed this money and wasn't given the chance to pay before it went to collections. She rattled off the address that she said she sent the bills to and it was all right except for the suite # of my mailbox, which is why I never received it. Do you think that I have an angle as far as an incorrect address to dispute?

Also, I never admitted the debt but said it might be just worth my while to pay it off and get rid of the headache, as long as I had an official written agreement that they would delete and never report on any credit bureau again. She wasnt having that, she said it wasnt the companies "normal practice" and I told her when it is I would entertain the thought.

Any ideas?

If she gets back to you, great. If not, wait till a couple days before the end of the month, and call back. I am not intimately familiar with the business model of CAs. But I would bet a lot of money that they collect their bonuses based on a monthly amount collected.

"We don't do that" on the 13th may become "Send me your proposal to my personal email" on the 27th.

thats exactly what I was thinking. I was in sales for awhile, so I know how it goes. I already have the PFD letter written up just in case.

Say worst case scenario, she doesnt go for PFD, should I just leave it on there and let it rot on there for 5 more years or pay up?

That's your call. If I were told by an apartment complex manager that I would not be penalized for moving out, I'd write an affidavit, detailing every bit of information I still remembered, and sign it in front of a notary.

And hang onto it, waiting to see if they did anything else to try to collect. 

$1200 isn't a fortune. But it's a long weekend somewhere warm, which, for this Minnesotan sounds a lot better right now than paying a CA.