Taxes...

willingtocope

Argh.  Why don't they just take it all and give me back what THEY think I can live on?

I hear you.  When I didn't understand withholding I used to look for that simplified IRS 1040 form that said:

How much did you make last year?

Send it to us.

We just talked about taxes again in my microeconomics class again and the majority of people oppose paying taxes simply for the reason that they do not believe the government is fiscally responsible with the money.

Guest usctrojanalum

I got lucky this year.  I normally over pay by $1200 to $1600 this year I went to a new accountant who got me a refund of $4400.  Was pretty awesome surprise.

If you really want to get your knickers in a knot, research the Grace Commission findings.

From Wiki (emphasis mine):

The report said that one-third of all income taxes are consumed by waste and inefficiency in the federal government, and another one-third escapes collection owing to the underground economy. “With two thirds of everyone’s personal income taxes wasted or not collected, 100 percent of what is collected is absorbed solely by interest on the federal debt and by federal government contributions to transfer payments. In other words, all individual income tax revenues are gone before one nickel is spent on the services [that] taxpayers expect from their government."[4]

This was 20 years ago, it's only gotten worse.