Trying to validate debt with a collections agency but their response confused me? HELP PLEASE

I recently sent a letter to validate a debt that is in collections. The collections company responded with 

" This notice is to confirm that we are in recepit of you request for calidation of the above mentioned account. We will send you request for the documentation to our client. Upon receipt, we will forward it on to you. If we are unable to obtain the documentation in a timely manner, we will close the account, cease any further collection activity and return the account to our client." 

My question is can they do this? Or should they should delete the debt since it appears they can not validate the debt on their own. 

YOU have 30 days to send the DV letter. THEY can take as long as they want to answer, but must "cease collection efforts" during that time.

Unless you are in TX, in which case, YOU can take as long as you want to send the DV letter (but need to reference the TX law that allows this) and THEY have 30 days to validate. The standard for validation in TX is higher, too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I know this is over a month old but I'm posting anyway.

I've had an item on my credit report being listed as in dispute for two years.  I'm in Texas.  It's about to come off in the next few weeks, I sued, I won, I signed papers and returned. Just waiting on the check now. 

I had no idea they could not continue collection activities while in dispute.  I sued because of the constant calls and numerous violations. 

Do you have a source for that info?  About the Texas part? 

• 1 month later...

I know this is over a month old but I'm posting anyway.

I've had an item on my credit report being listed as in dispute for two years.  I'm in Texas.  It's about to come off in the next few weeks, I sued, I won, I signed papers and returned. Just waiting on the check now. 

I had no idea they could not continue collection activities while in dispute.  I sued because of the constant calls and numerous violations. 

Do you have a source for that info?  About the Texas part? 

So I have a few things on my credit report from the same company and they have not reported it again since 2011, it does not say in dispute, but I did send a validation a few months ago to the collections agency with no reply. Should I take it to the credit bureaus explaining I sent a validation letter with no reply? It is only on my transunion report??