Recommended Posts

Question. My son had some dental work about a year ago and we were quoted a number for the services, insurance picking up the rest. We paid upfront what we were told the cost was. A while later, we received a bill for almost double what we were originally quoted asking for the balance. Fast forward, I tried to work this out with the dentists office to no avail. They sent me a letter about a month ago stating the section of the IRS tax code regarding discharged debt, and that they were going t report it to the IRS as a 1099 MISC income. Then they said they were going to turn it over to a collection agency for non payment.


I received a verification letter today from the CA. Question is, what do I do? Do I dispute the debt and tell them that I have received a letter from OC showing they said they will filie a 1099 and that the debt was discharged? Do I threaten to sue them for a non existant debt based upon the OC letter?  Any advise would be appreciated.


My son had just turned 18 at the time this happened and they made him sign the forms so I would really hate to get his credit ruined from this deceiving dentist. The debt discharge income is of no consequence as he is a full time student with no income.


I have attached a copy of the meat of the letter.


Thanks in advance




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Every state has a Dental Board that mediates disputes like this at no charge.  File a complaint with the one in Georgia and they should be able to help you resolve it quickly.  

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.