ckstar

Old medical bill help requested

Hello,  

There is an old medical bill reported by Progressive Management Systems of California on my credit report.  It says the last reporting date is 12/2010, the alleged debt was 7/2009.  I have not received any communication with this company and have since moved from the state.  I am currently working on boosting my credit scores.

Should I send them a DV letter?  I am worried about awakening the collection process if I am close to the Statute of limitations.

I am unclear to the statute of limitations for medical bills in California, is it 4 years?

In calculating the Statute of Limitations do you use your current state or where the debt originated?

Any help you can provide would be very helpful, thank you

In calculating the Statute of Limitations do you use your current state or where the debt originated?

If you moved to Colorado AFTER the SOL in California expired then it cannot be revived by moving to a state with a longer SOL.  If you moved to CO while the SOL was still alive then the longer SOL of CO would prevail.

I am unclear to the statute of limitations for medical bills in California, is it 4 years?

Written agreements is what medical bills fall under since you signed a financial guarantee with the provider.  So it would be 4 years if the CA SOL is controlling, 6 years if CO SOL applies.

Should I send them a DV letter?  I am worried about awakening the collection process if I am close to the Statute of limitations.

You have several options.  You can DV the collection agency.  If they no longer have a business relationship with the OC they cannot validate as it would violate HIPAA.  You can dispute the account with the credit reporting agencies.  If the CA no longer has a business relationship with the medical provider they cannot validate and it will be deleted because they do not respond.  

Or, you can contact the provider the care was through and make arrangements to pay them directly with a PFD letter.  

One thing to be aware of is if you used insurance of ANY type to cover part of the care they cannot discount your portion by law as it is illegal rebating.  If you did not have insurance you may be able to negotiate a lower amount if they have not already given a self pay discount.  

Post back if you have more questions.

Great info. On small medical collections (I have 3) which I've DV'd and gotten the CMRR green cards back.

Not sure if it was proper, but I 1-2 punched with DV's to the CA's and right afterward (days) a dispute to the CRA's.

How long should one wait to go to the next step and what is the next part of the procedure? (if, of course there's no deletion)

Great info. On small medical collections (I have 3) which I've DV'd and gotten the CMRR green cards back.

Not sure if it was proper, but I 1-2 punched with DV's to the CA's and right afterward (days) a dispute to the CRA's.

How long should one wait to go to the next step and what is the next part of the procedure? (if, of course there's no deletion)

What next step?  What procedure are you following?

If they validate the debt your option is to pay the debt or wait until the end of the reporting period for it to fall off.  You might get luck and the CA no longer has the account and doesn't validate.  In that case it will be removed.  If they validate then you can see if the medical provider will take payment or force you to deal with the CA.  They might do PFD or they may just update it as a paid collection.  Despite what you might read or be told about special "methods" for removing medical debt, it is NOT a HIPAA violation to report it.  HIPAA has guidelines on reporting medical debt and using CAs to collect the debts.  

So, you are suggesting that if they validate, I should just assume that there's no other way? What about further challenging them?

Since they are old and small, I am hoping that they either can't validate or will agree to PFD. Frankly, I'd be glad to pay to make them go away: $500, 100, 120.

Of course, if they just want to update as paid, I'm not interested.

So, you are suggesting that if they validate, I should just assume that there's no other way? What about further challenging them?

Further challenging them HOW?   You dispute, they validate.  What other challenge are you referring to?  If the accounts are verified to the CRAs they will not allow you to make unlimited disputes simply to harass them into deleting.  After one re-dispute you will get a letter stating they will no longer investigate as it has been verified and they are not in violation of the FCDPA or FCRA.

Frankly, I'd be glad to pay to make them go away: $500, 100, 120.

Of course, if they just want to update as paid, I'm not interested.

Whether you are interested or not isn't the problem.  If they have a policy against PFD you cannot force them to do it.  Your choice at that point is to wait for it to fall off.  

Many, many, many, many CA's have policies of not doing PFDs... They are always more than happy to tell you that on their first go round and expect you to immediately cave and pay via electronic check to take care of this today. Those same CAs have done PFDs with persistence. It is defeatist to say that you must now wait for it to fall off. 

CRA disputes are not the end of the line. Clyde is right that they will eventually decide a dispute it frivolous... But then you change tactics. I have found that when cleaning up a CR, the best policy is to be persistent and not give up. You can get a ton of rejections, but it only takes one yes.

And I agree, a paid collection is still a collection.