Locked out of Trans Union for Life??!!

So, I just got off the phone with TU and was told I was locked out of any of their services for life.  I asked why, and the lady on the phone said she didn't know, that it was an automated system that locked me out.  I said I work for a software company, and have never seen software written that couldn't unlock a user before.

As I pushed more, she sent me to a supervisor.  While on hold I was reading about others that had the same experience, they were told there was suspisous activity from 2007 and their account has been locked since then.  The supervisor comes on the phone and what do you know, I was locked due to suspicious activity in 2007.  The guy is basically telling me verbatim what I am reading online.

I asked him if he was just reading a script and that I could provide as much proof of my identity as he wanted. He said there was nothing he could do and it was company policy.  He said I could still access the report through a third party company, but he wasn't sure.  Something doesn't sit right with this.  Not five minutes prior, Equifax also locked me out from their online dispute system.

Am I being blacklisted with the CRA's? 

Has anyone else ever been locked out of TU?

So, I just got off the phone with TU and was told I was locked out of any of their services for life.  I asked why, and the lady on the phone said she didn't know, that it was an automated system that locked me out.  I said I work for a software company, and have never seen software written that couldn't unlock a user before.

As I pushed more, she sent me to a supervisor.  While on hold I was reading about others that had the same experience, they were told there was suspisous activity from 2007 and their account has been locked since then.  The supervisor comes on the phone and what do you know, I was locked due to suspicious activity in 2007.  The guy is basically telling me verbatim what I am reading online.

I asked him if he was just reading a script and that I could provide as much proof of my identity as he wanted. He said there was nothing he could do and it was company policy.  He said I could still access the report through a third party company, but he wasn't sure.  Something doesn't sit right with this.  Not five minutes prior, Equifax also locked me out from their online dispute system.

Am I being blacklisted with the CRA's? 

Has anyone else ever been locked out of TU?

File a complaint with the CFPB.  It is utterly ridiculous that you have a legal right to the information in your credit files but they tell you that you are banned for life from knowing it.  I would also be placing a call to my Senator, Congressman, the AG, and FTC.  ANYONE who would listen because by law they cannot "black list" you from information you are legally entitled to.

• Like 1

I had a problem with both TransUnion and Equifax's online systems about 2007, too. I was very proactive about repairing errors on my reports at the time, and began pulling my credit reports daily to see the changes. After all, their online products feature "unlimited updates." It turned out their systems eventually would "lock" a file because the data compiled exceeded the limit allowed by their systems for each customer.

I raised hell at the time because after all, they advertised unlimited updates. Once someone came clean at the credit bureaus about the real cause of the problem, I requested they delete the excess data. Its a tricky process, because they may delete positive trade lines you'd like to have along the way. I recall Equifax fixed the problem in a few weeks, but TransUnion took about 2 months. I'm not sure if this is what caused your issue, but it is one possible cause.

I agree with the  other posters...CFPB complaint, FTC, etc. Make some noise until someone there comes clean about what caused the problem, and perhaps inquire if the issue I outlined is the cause of your being locked out.

• Like 1

I never thought about the CFPB angle.  I am one of those that got locked out for life in 2007.  I was polite when I challenged them.  I had been a victim of ID theft and the thiefs were attempting to get credit with my ID.

Didn't matter.  :(

I can confirm from a pull on My Fico yesterday that third party companies can still provide my credit report, I just cannot dispute online or use any of the free credit reports available. Transunion.com I am completely locked out of as well. My understanding is we are supposed to be able to access our credit file free annually, since TU locked me out, I cannot access that file, is that a violation of the FCRA?

"The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide credit reporting companies — Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion — to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months."

Or, since I can probably request one via paper mail, are they still in compliance?

"can probably" doesn't mean much, does it?

I would try to get the paper copy, if I could. Paper copies are more detailed, anyway.

Then, if I couldn't, I'd be finding a consumer attorney.

Those were my thoughts as well.  I will submit for a paper copy of my report and see what/if they send anything. 

Thanks again