Bankruptcy for medical bills? Effect fed student loans?

PrincessPeach

Well I'm typing this out from a hospital. This is my 6th night here, first night out of the PCU (one step down from ICU). Had a acute asthma attack that put me down. No i'm uninsured so this bill is going to be insane. I just started a part time gig a week before going into the hospital. Haven't even got paid from then yet. Also just got accepted into nursing school, had an appointment to sit down with the loans department to get my student loans hammered out. At this point I'm sure this hospital bill is gonna be 100k plus. When I brought it up to my fiance he kinda didn't like the idea of marrying me with so much debt (i really don't blame him). He said I should think about bankruptcy, I have really nothing in my name besides my 95 Thunderbird. Does this sound like a road I should go down? The social worker said I could work out a payment plan. So even if its like 100 a month thats gonna take the rest of my life to pay off.

If I could get a little guidance id be very appreciative. 

Try the payment plan first, they might just do 10% of the whole bill, and they might even forgive 100% of it, depending on your income and the hospital. Talk.with the hospital and see what they say. I did have medical bills just forgiven, that way. Also your fiancee is an a_$ hole, money got nothing to do with love, I'm poor and happy married. About bankruptcy I leave that one to the other folks I'm not familiar with it.

Try the payment plan first, they might just do 10% of the whole bill, and they might even forgive 100% of it, depending on your income and the hospital. Talk.with the hospital and see what they say. I did have medical bills just forgiven, that way. Also your fiancee is an a_$ hole, money got nothing to do with love, I'm poor and happy married. About bankruptcy I leave that one to the other folks I'm not familiar with it.

• Like 1

First things first.

Concentate on getting well and see what you can do to negoiate the bill to somehing reasonable.

Then, get some insurance. See if you qualify for medicad.Once the ACA opens enrollment again Nov. some darn sure apply for coverage.

I'm of the opinion that bk is useless unless you can fix the underlying problem that caused the bk. You don't want to file bk and 6 months or a year later you have another attack and end up in the hospital and you already played the bk card.

Well I'm typing this out from a hospital. This is my 6th night here, first night out of the PCU (one step down from ICU). Had a acute asthma attack that put me down. No i'm uninsured so this bill is going to be insane. I just started a part time gig a week before going into the hospital. Haven't even got paid from then yet. Also just got accepted into nursing school, had an appointment to sit down with the loans department to get my student loans hammered out. At this point I'm sure this hospital bill is gonna be 100k plus. When I brought it up to my fiance he kinda didn't like the idea of marrying me with so much debt (i really don't blame him). He said I should think about bankruptcy, I have really nothing in my name besides my 95 Thunderbird. Does this sound like a road I should go down? The social worker said I could work out a payment plan. So even if its like 100 a month thats gonna take the rest of my life to pay off.

If I could get a little guidance id be very appreciative. 

I am in the medical field and have been for 30+ years.  The other answers are close but are missing the mark.

Next time you see your nurse today let her know you need to speak to someone from the Financial Counselor's office first thing tomorrow.  (the ones on the weekend do not necessarily know what to do)  When you see the counselor ask them to help you sign up for EMERGENCY Medicaid.  There is immediate Medicaid for patients in your situation.  All you have to do is apply and give them the documents that support your financial situation.  You will need it not only for your current care but future care until you can be insured.

With all due respect your social worker is an idiot.  Telling someone to "pay what they can" on a bill that will likely be six figures is just stupid.  She should have called the financial counselor.  If she returns ask her to call the FC too.

As for your fiance:  I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he may have worded it badly at first but he is correct you should BOTH be concerned about starting a marriage deeply in debt.  You would both be wise to undergo pre-marital and financial counseling before getting married.  If he is the jerk he came across as you will know before being bound to him legally.

Check with Medical Assistance in your state, and see if you qualify. My son, who lives in another state, was hit by a car while on his bike, and suffered a pneumothorax. He checked out AMA, because he was so worried about the bills, and then a sympathetic doctor's office told him to apply for MA. Found out that, if qualified, it was retroactive to the first of the month and all his bills were paid.

It's lucky you found out that your fiancé was a jerk before you married him.

Just noticed @Clydesmom's answer. She is right, of course. As am I, heh.

Guest usctrojanalum

apply for emergency medicaid, it can be retroactive for 90 days so apply as soon as possible. if you do not qualify then you are going to have to ask for financial aid or charity care. a lot of hospital facilities will ask you to apply for medicaid before filling out a charity care application, because with medicaid they have a chance of getting paid something, charity care is simply a write off. with no job, zero income and no assets you should probably qualify for both.

Ok guys, just got home. They gave me a number to call for social services on Monday. No other talk of a bill was done when i was discharged. I'm not even 100% sure who I'm calling on Monday. I just now hes to help people with my kind of needs and his name is Vince. I figure ill call him on Monday and ask about this emergency medicaid. If he doesn't really seem to be into it ill apply my self. I googled it and got this for PA http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/applyforbenefits/index.htm, think it be better to apply online or in person. Will the fact I just started this job hurt my chances to get it?

As far as my fiance goes, hes not jerk. He didn't say anything till i asked him how will we pay for this. He got cash in the bank for a down payment on a house. Hes just worried about the financing deals we could get on a house with this debt on my record :( 

• Like 1

Please do NOT listen to the people who are urging you to agree to a payment plan. While it's possible that you may be forced to do so if you cannot qualify for Medicaid, with your current unemployed status, it's very likely that you will.

Payment plan is the last thing you should go to; hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills are a great reason for a bankruptcy Ch 7, and with no income and no assets to speak of, you'd most likely qualify for that.

However, again, if you can qualify for Medicaid, it IS retroactive, and that would be your best case scenario.

Please do NOT listen to the people who are urging you to agree to a payment plan. While it's possible that you may be forced to do so if you cannot qualify for Medicaid, with your current unemployed status, it's very likely that you will.

Payment plan is the last thing you should go to; hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills are a great reason for a bankruptcy Ch 7, and with no income and no assets to speak of, you'd most likely qualify for that.

However, again, if you can qualify for Medicaid, it IS retroactive, and that would be your best case scenario.

Yeah, if they force a payment plan on me i'm gonna do bankruptcy. My only worry about the medicaid thing is I just started this job a week before I went in. Hope that doesn't block me. If I go bankruptcy will they try and take my car? its a 95 an the KBB is only like 1500 at best. Besides that all i have is my cloths, a tv, and a ps3. Thats all that I have. 

Every state has different dollar amounts, etc, that are protected in bankruptcy, and I have no idea what PA includes. But I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't allow you to keep a 19 year old car.

Since, I assume, you are at home recuperating, do some online research for the bankruptcy rules in your state.

Seems like with PA you can go by Federal or State laws. For federal they give you $3,675 limit for cars. Being my car gets totaled with a full tank of gas I'm not to worried about that. 

I talked to the guy at the hospital. He said hes waiting on a copy of my birth certificate which I have a replacement coming  anyways. I'm at a stand still till then. 

As far as my health i'm doing much better, i'm back to work doing 4hr shifts.