Child support listing

Abcdefghij

Hi, I have a unique situation, maybe someone has been in same situation, or may has more info? Here we go...

I have 2 child support listings on my credit reports, both for the same debt, both being reported by the same child support agency but for different amounts. One is open, and the other is closed. I'm guessing 2 different judgements? I have disputed these with the credit bureaus and obviously they came back verified.

I have had full custody by court order for the last 8 years, and have been a single father with 2 kids and this old child support debt the entire time. My kids mother forgave her part of the debt ( since I did help support my kids during the time she had custody) she forgave over $12,000 that child support said I owed to her. However, the state still wants their interest on that money! $4000. They have in the past withheld my license, intercepted paychecks, taxes, and I can't get a passport. I have recently realized that I have to pay this no matter what, and that it will stay on my report for 7 years, AFTER its paid in full! Since this was first reported in 2003, and at the current payment shedule, it would take 2 years to pay off. This child support will have been on my credit report for 20 years total!

I'm trying to clean up my credit to help my 2 kids pay for college. They are now 14 and 16. Both in honors classes and straight a's and a few b's. I own my house outright, and want to get a home equity loan in the future.

My question is this:

Is it better to just pay the balance ASAP, or should I pay it off over the 2 years, so as to have a solid payment history, especially if I have 7 more years.

I have also thought about writing a good will letter AFTER I pay the balance in full, to see if they may just delete it out of good faith. Ultimately this is my fault for not contacting child support sooner and modifying the order when my income changed. And for taking so long to catch up....but in my defense I have been raising my son and daughter by myself this whole time. I guess I could also leave a statement on my credit report, but that won't help the FICA score.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I have a feeling that this is a judgement and if so, the state is not reporting the payment history, just that there is a judgement against you. The best bet therefore would be to pay it off right now so that the 7 year clock starts ticking and that it would show to potential creditors that this is a paid old judgement.

I am curious though, did your ex get public assistance when she had custody of the children? If not, then what law is the state using to say they get the interest and not the ex? I have a feeling that even if you paid this, you might be able to file a claim with the state and force them to show the legal basis for them getting interest. Another reason to pay off the full amount, you can then start that process.

Thanks for your reply whocares1000. These aren't listed under the judgement section of the credit report. They are being reported like a credit card.

The child support is in CA, and 3 years ago I moved here to Oahu. Hawaii courts sent me paperwork that they were to collect the amount for CA, and issued income with holding, and tax interception. This was only about 6 months ago. I figured I should start paying it before Hawaii puts something on my credit report too. I have been making the payments, and they are being reported on my credit report, albeit about a month behind. So I'm establishing a new payment history, but I think there will always be the "worst status ever listed" would still be over 120 days late. Or will it not matter as much over time?

If I pay it now, then the payment history would be good for about 6 months, the rest of the history would show missed payments, and late payments.

Part of me just wants to pay it off, and send a letter to see if they will remove the listings.

Yes, their mother was on public assistance for several months, and the state is the one who Started it, based on the money I was making at the time. I never knew I could go back once my income changed to get the amount lowered. For a year my paychecks had "this is not a check" stamped on them, I was forced to live off of tips. Once I got custody, their mother all of a sudden decided to forgive her portion of the money, but the state still wants the arrearage, consisting of the interest child support was charging. I don't see how they can charge interest on money that wasn't due, or forgiven? But it's my fault for not challenging it sooner.

OK, what happened was that while your ex was on public assistance, the state was able to charge you directly for child support rather than your ex. That is what this charge is and you ex cannot forgive that part. The state does this to recoup the expenses of support your children when they are on public assistance and this is perfectly legal so it looks like you owe this amount.

In any case, child support is more of a beast along the lines of income tax payments and federal student loans where the government has awesome power to make your life miserable without too much court oversight. Because of that, I would simply pay this off regardless of what it will look like on my credit report. In fact, if I were a loan officer, I would rather see a paid off child support obligation than one in payments simply because that would be the end of it.

If you decide to go the payoff route, get the payoff amount in writing and staple a copy of the check/money order to it and KEEP IT FOR THE REST OF YOUR NATURAL LIFE! These things have a chance of coming back and haunting you at the moment when you least want it to. My suggestion is to pay it off but make sure it is paid off.

• Like 1

Note also that I have seen the weirdest stuff happen regarding child support. I have seen the state go after a deadbeat father getting only social security and taking $10 out of his check for the rest of his life regardless of the fact that he would never pay it off as he had no assets and was in public housing yet let did not go after another deadbeat father for 10 years of public support for his children even though he had a somewhat steady job as an engineer on the lakes ships. That is another reason to get them out of your life before they come up with something else out of the blue.

I agree. Pay it off and have it behind you.

But. Before you get yourself further in debt to help your kids through college, think about working with them to get scholarships and grants.

I was a single mom at the time that my oldest two were in college. I helped them with the cost of their books. But I made a decision, and explained it to them, that it was better for THEM if I didn't go into debt for their education, as all that would do was to ensure that they would be supporting me when I retired.

Your responsibility is to raise your kids to adulthood, and to do what you can, with what you have, for their further education. If what you have isn't enough to get them through college, there are ways that they can get excellent educations for a reasonable amount of money, and not have all of you paying for it for the rest of your lives.

The attitude that has been going around family courts lately though is that parents are responsible for college too. When I was a child, in New York State, child support was done until the child was 21 rather than 18. Now I hear that the non-custodial parent dealing with New York State's system could be held responsible until the child is out of school and working.

That is why the OP needs to get something written from California too that says this is done before paying this off. This way, the OP can ensure this does not crop up again.

Thanks everyone for responding. Luckily I am the custodial parent since 2007. I agree the best thing is to just pay it off ASAP. I will try to see if I can have child support remove the listing through good will, after its paid. Doubt it but worth a try. It's going to take about 7 months sending $500/mo. I'll keep ya posted! Lol