ByGeorge2004

Wrong case number on complaint

I have a quick question for anyone who can at least point me in the right direction!

After filing my answer to a complaint in a law suit over a debt in Washington state, I looked up the case online, only to find the plaintiff put the incorrect case number on the papers that were served upon me.

The case number on the complaint, and my answer is XX035X

The case number on file with the court is XX0035X

Does this provide me with any grounds to have this case dismissed? Or at least force the plaintiff to re-start the process?

Any info would be great, thanks!

In Indiana, cause numbers end with 6 digits, sequential for the year. Some courts will trim off the leading zeros, some add extra zeros.  Depending on how your case numbers are laid out, it may not be a big deal. In Indiana its under the Administrative Rules.

For example: 89C02-0512-IF-00016

89 is the county number (Wayne County)
C02 is the court in which the case is filed (Circuit 2)
05 is the year the case is filed (2005)
12 is the month the case is filed (December)
IF is the case type (Infraction)
00016 is the annual sequence number. This is the 16th infraction cased of the year in Wayne County.

Administrative Rule 8(4) is amended to require that the fourth group of characters (the "filing sequence") in a case number consist of six (6) characters. (Previously, the filing sequence could contain any number of characters up to six (6)). The reasons for this change are to, first, facilitate on-line searches for cases and, second, achieve greater statewide uniformity in the case numbering system. No court is required to comply with this change to the extent that it would require re-programming of that court's existing electronic case management system. In the process of converting a court's legacy data to a new case management system, the filing sequence may be expanded to consist of six (6) characters.

I have a quick question for anyone who can at least point me in the right direction!

After filing my answer to a complaint in a law suit over a debt in Washington state, I looked up the case online, only to find the plaintiff put the incorrect case number on the papers that were served upon me.

Does this provide me with any grounds to have this case dismissed? Or at least force the plaintiff to re-start the process?

The only way it would matter is if your response did not get filed due to the wrong case number in which case you could explain the error to the court and make sure the court considers your response timely filed.  I'd assume your answer was properly filed in the correct case, despite the small error in the case number, so I don't see why it would matter.   This isn't the postal service where your letter ends up in an infinite death loop if a number is 1 digit off.  An actual person is going to be looking at the filings and can correlate the name of the case to ensure proper filing in the correct case.  If everything was properly filed, despite the error, there isn't any justification for a do-over or dismissal and you'd probably just annoy the judge (bad for you) if you attempt it. 

• Like 1

ByGeorge, I am also in WA and am being sued by a JDB. My case was filed in July of last year, so I am a bit further in my progress. I am guessing yours was filed by Midland?

They put the wrong case number on mine, too, and I had the same train of thought. However, every single doc they have sent me since also has the same, incorrectly formatted case number. The court doesn't really care, though, so it's all fine.

Have you already started a thread with your case? I am curious to see your progress!

Thanks for the information everyone!

I have not started a full thread in regards to my cases. Yes, cases. Out of no where I was hit with 2 suits. One is from capital one, an OC suit, which will undoubtedly be a tough one, but I dont remember signing a physical contract with them, and it was in 2005 when the account opened, so I will challenge them to produce the documents!

My other case is a little further along, thats vs GTF Services, a JDB with a terrible reputation. They are currently being sued in Colorado by the Colorado Attorney General for producing fraudulent documents in relation to debt law suits. The OC is US Bank. I am fighting this one hard because there is no way I owe them the amount of money they are trying to sue me for. 

Based on my research, GTF Services has sued 20 people over the last 3 years in the county I live in. 18 people lost by default/not responding to the suit, 2 people have fought it and had it dismissed. I like my chances in that one! I will start threads with those shortly!

Clerical errors are correctable and not material to the triable facts of the case.

• Like 1

@ByGeorge2004 If you don't mind me asking, what county do you live in? I ask because I am using the main WA state court case site, and it unfortunately doesn't give me access to the results of any of the cases filed in my court. Is there a particular site you're using to see detailed information like that?