Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Settlement Letter Titled Certified Benefits Notice

Where do companies, or agencies, get a person's personal information, such as name, address, and amount of debt owed?  How can they access my credit report without my permission, or knowledge? 

I got a letter, via USPS, stating that my  "tri-scored report reflects a combined total of $XXXX owed to several credit

card companies and that unfortunately you been late on payments......"   There is a phone number for me to call and

they will "resolve my distressed debt". (for about 2/3 discount)

There is a statement at the bottom of the letter:

PLEASE NOTE: FAILURE to respond may affect your legal rights.

Where do companies, or agencies, get a person's personal information, such as name, address, and amount of debt owed?  How can they access my credit report without my permission, or knowledge? 

They pay the credit agencies for certain lists of consumers.  All they need to do is set the parameters, X # of late payments in the past 6-12 months, owes $X amount or more in credit card debt, etc. and the CRAs give them the names and addresses.  

The way to stop offers like this is to contact each bureau and opt out of third party offers.

PLEASE NOTE: FAILURE to respond may affect your legal rights.

Bull snot.  This statement is false and misleading.  Your legal rights are not affected at ALL by not responding to their offer for credit repair or debt management what ever they want to call it.  I would be sending a copy of that letter to my state's Attorney General because it is false, misleading, deceptive and could be violating several laws.  They should look into it.

• Like 2

I also got a letter, via USPS, stating that my:

CERTIFIED BENEFITS STATEMENT

Notice of Reduction Benefits:

Michael Kxxxxxxxx, records indicate that you owe a combined total of up to $XXXXX to several credit card agencies. Unfortunately, this report also shows you have likely been late on a minimum payment and your account balances  may have exceeded or are near their limits. This program is limited to only the beneficiary above is non-transferable.   

Notice of Resolution: 

After reviewing your situation, it has been determined you may resolve this distressed debt for $XXXX

The aforementioned program benefits must be redeemed by Midnight of December 18, 2015.  Failure to accept benefits in a timely manner may affect your legal rights.  Please do not delay, call 1-888-247-6802 immediately in order to avoid loss of these benefits. 

So, it's a 70% Resolution of Past Due Debt.

Benefits Included:

No 3rd Party Fees

1 Payment per Month

Avoid Costly Debt Management Programs

​Immediate Reduction of Payments up to 70%

Credit is Restored by Avoiding Bankruptcy

​Stop Calls From Creditors & Collectors

*****   My question is whether this can work, if not what do the providers of this get from me?

*****   Assuming this is a scam, how did they get this information about me?

*****   What is the best solution to consolidate my debt? 

I also got a letter, via USPS, stating that my:

CERTIFIED BENEFITS STATEMENT

Notice of Reduction Benefits:

Michael Kxxxxxxxx, records indicate that you owe a combined total of up to $XXXXX to several credit card agencies. Unfortunately, this report also shows you have likely been late on a minimum payment and your account balances  may have exceeded or are near their limits. This program is limited to only the beneficiary above is non-transferable.   

Notice of Resolution: 

After reviewing your situation, it has been determined you may resolve this distressed debt for $XXXX

The aforementioned program benefits must be redeemed by Midnight of December 18, 2015.  Failure to accept benefits in a timely manner may affect your legal rights.  Please do not delay, call 1-888-247-6802 immediately in order to avoid loss of these benefits. 

So, it's a 70% Resolution of Past Due Debt.

Benefits Included:

No 3rd Party Fees

1 Payment per Month

Avoid Costly Debt Management Programs

​Immediate Reduction of Payments up to 70%

Credit is Restored by Avoiding Bankruptcy

​Stop Calls From Creditors & Collectors

*****   My question is whether this can work, if not what do the providers of this get from me?

*****   Assuming this is a scam, how did they get this information about me?

*****   What is the best solution to consolidate my debt? 

@mkukuchka The same reply from @Clydesmom above applies.  No, this company can not do anything you can't do yourself.  They are simply paying off your credit cards over several years and skimming a bit of your payment off the top for their service.

To anyone who gets one of these letters, I would submit a copy to the Attorney General's office AND the CFPB too.  This nonsense about "affecting your legal rights" is total hogwash and makes it sound as if there is some type of legal issue at hand here.  There is not.  This is a simple solicitation of services just like any other junk mail you might get for carpet cleaning or oil changes.

• Like 1

I called the number for shits and giggles and it was an answering service. When I refused to give my reference number, I asked for the name of the company and to be taken off of their list. She then hung up on me LOL