mamabear

Being sued by PRA in CA on more than one

Go ahead send out the BOP before you file your answer. You can ask the court to wait, until you win the suit, to pay them the fees, instead right away.

Sorry to hear that, i'm in the similar situation as far the court system goes, i just received a traffic ticket couple days ago for reckless driving, a misdemeanor charge (changed lanes without giving proper signals) so i'm waiting on that hearing next month can't afford a private attorney, So I've been doing research to fight that on my own and as well working on this law suit. 

It hurts to see when you work hard and pay your taxes but cannot use its benefits for yourself rather for those who just wanna smoke and use E.B.T cards at our expense. some people really need hand where others just abuse the system.

• Like 1

As for how to request that the court allow you to make monthly payments on the filing fee: If you are broke enough to qualify for a fee waiver at all, you probably are being too tough on yourself by asking for monthly payments: Consider filling in the FW001 form so as to ask for complete waiver of fees. 

If the court rejects the request for a complete waiver, then you can request a hearing (by submitting another form, which I think is FW009, but you'll have to make sure).  At the hearing, then request, in the alternative, the ability to make monthly payments if the judge will not grant the full waiver.

By the way, you do NOT need to "serve" the fee waiver forms, nor do you need to file a POS with them.  It is an exception, for privacy reasons.

• Like 1

As for how to request that the court allow you to make monthly payments on the filing fee: If you are broke enough to qualify for a fee waiver at all, you probably are being too tough on yourself by asking for monthly payments: Consider filling in the FW001 form so as to ask for complete waiver of fees.

If the court rejects the request for a complete waiver, then you can request a hearing (by submitting another form, which I think is FW009, but you'll have to make sure). At the hearing, then request, in the alternative, the ability to make monthly payments if the judge will not grant the full waiver.

By the way, you do NOT need to "serve" the fee waiver forms, nor do you need to file a POS with them. It is an exception, for privacy reasons.

I asked for the monthly payments from the FW001. My family of two income is a few times over the allotted amount for a family of two. I also filed a financial hardship on form MC-025.

The court wouldn't work with me on filing fees when I was trying to file for child support a few years back. I'm really not expecting them to work with me now. I don't know of my water heater would qualify as an additional hardship, I would think it should. It started leaking after I filed my forms though, of course, like the very next day!

Go ahead send out the BOP before you file your answer. You can ask the court to wait, until you win the suit, to pay them the fees, instead right away.

Sorry to hear that, i'm in the similar situation as far the court system goes, i just received a traffic ticket couple days ago for reckless driving, a misdemeanor charge (changed lanes without giving proper signals) so i'm waiting on that hearing next month can't afford a private attorney, So I've been doing research to fight that on my own and as well working on this law suit.

It hurts to see when you work hard and pay your taxes but cannot use its benefits for yourself rather for those who just wanna smoke and use E.B.T cards at our expense. some people really need hand where others just abuse the system.

As soon as I'm served on the new case, I'm sending BOP. Ugh now it just sucks waiting. At least I know ahead of time I guess.

Good for you on fighting your traffic ticket! They are so expensive now. I'm almost finished paying off a red light ticket.

You may not have to serve the fee waiver request to the lawyer, but a (redacted fee waiver / hardship form can send them a good message.

i just received a traffic ticket couple days ago for reckless driving, a misdemeanor charge (changed lanes without giving proper signals)

Traffic tickets are very easy to beat. I have never lost one, and beat 2 for reckless driving (had a lot of court experience growing up). At worst that could easily be reduced to "improper or illeagle lane change" at a fraction of the cost.

Latest update..

I was served on the 3rd lawsuit by PRA on Sunday. It is same JDB and OC as the other two. The 3rd suit is being handled in house and it is account stated only, which is so annoying, but I sent off BOP today anyway.

Yesterday PRA sent me a letter that they are intending to file a 4th suit on a different account after 6/9/14. So, just a few more days I guess till my 4th suit filed by PRA. I guess they really like me!

I did receive PRA's response to my BOP on the first 2 suits last week. I feel it is a sufficient response even though there is some questionable information in it. I will be asking for more information in Discovery now. 

I am very overwhelmed right now, I have gone from 2 suits filed at the same time, to now 3 lawsuits in a very short amount of time and immediately facing a 4th suit. I know they are trying to intimidate me and it is working. They have started calling my work again after I verbally told them on 4/17/14 not to call my work line at all as I cannot have any personal calls. I never sent this is writing so I screwed myself on this one. I am now getting this sent out in writing tomorrow telling PRA to stop calling my work.

PRA also sent a dunning letter a couple days ago on a new account they just bought in May 2014. This one is covered under the new California law sb 233 FDCPA, so I will be sending a DV letter based on this new law. I just really started reading about it, but it has confused me a little with the other suits I already have going on. 

I guess I am just too overwhelmed right now and I hope this posting made sense. I am so thankful for all the people on this board and everything I have learned thus far. It is just feeling like too much right now. 

Well the good news is if you fight the good fight, they may think twice about going thru with the others. The bad news is you will be showing your hand for all the suits that follow.

At least you will know most procedure for the latter suits. Go by the book, and call them on when they don't. We are with you. :)

Or look at it this way....."bring it on, suckers!" Can't squeeze blood out of a turnip, fight the good fight, and reserve your BK card till the end if that is an option.

• Like 1

The bad news is you will be showing your hand for all the suits that follow.

I don't think that will be bad. They are going to see that this is going to be  a huge headache and that she is not being intimidated. Pretty soon they will see that she either knows what she is doing or being "coached" by the team.

• Like 1

I am very overwhelmed right now, I have gone from 2 suits filed at the same time, to now 3 lawsuits in a very short amount of time and immediately facing a 4th suit. I know they are trying to intimidate me and it is working. They have started calling my work again after I verbally told them on 4/17/14 not to call my work line at all as I cannot have any personal calls. I never sent this is writing so I screwed myself on this one. I am now getting this sent out in writing tomorrow telling PRA to stop calling my work.

It looks like you're off to a good start; you can fight and win all of them.  Bummer if you have to pay 4 filing fees, but otherwise:

I think you should focus on staying organized.  A different folder/binder/whatever works for you for each case.  Stay on top of all deadlines and make them pay for mistakes.

Sounds like some questionable collection activity.  Any fair debt collection violations you can cross on should be filed with your answer(s).  It's really the only way to fully recoup your costs as pro per.

Every doc you serve/file in the first case should be a template for the others.  It really shouldn't be that much more work, except for all the running to the post office required.  That'll suck.

Assuming you've got the same court/judge for all four, if you don't like the judge in case 1, you can 170.6 him/her and get a different judge for cases 2-4 at least.

It looks like you're off to a good start; you can fight and win all of them.  Bummer if you have to pay 4 filing fees, but otherwise:

I think you should focus on staying organized.  A different folder/binder/whatever works for you for each case.  Stay on top of all deadlines and make them pay for mistakes.

Sounds like some questionable collection activity.  Any fair debt collection violations you can cross on should be filed with your answer(s).  It's really the only way to fully recoup your costs as pro per.

Every doc you serve/file in the first case should be a template for the others.  It really shouldn't be that much more work, except for all the running to the post office required.  That'll suck.

Assuming you've got the same court/judge for all four, if you don't like the judge in case 1, you can 170.6 him/her and get a different judge for cases 2-4 at least.

I'm off to a good start because of all the good people here! I have to say that @Anon Amos has been a tremendous help answering my countless pm's. He is a godsend really. 

I am trying so hard to get them on a violation, especially with how they are coming after me. They haven't sent me any discovery yet but I am waiting. The court still hasn't processed my answers because they are over 30 days behind. That might be why no discovery yet? The attorneys have a copy of it anyway. 

The one big plus for me is I am able to send out CMRRR directly from work. Everything I need is in our mail room. It makes this whole ordeal more convenient for sure!!

I hate that the 3rd case is account stated only. It makes it a bit different from the other two but I don't think I should have to change much of anything between cases, The first two are identical so I just have to change the case #s on everything I've done so far.

Sorry to hear Mamabear that PRA is giving you so much trouble.  I'm also being sued by them but for 1 account.  However, you wow, hang in there your a toughie, eventhough you may not feel it.