Seadragon

HUD phone number to report fraud goes to a non profit named Novadebt who gets their funding from servicers

My wife went to HUD phone number to report servicing fraud in the hamp program. When she called it went to a "non profit" called Novadebt. My wife thought that it was odd that they requested her social Security number but thought it was for locating the mortgage. This company ran a soft pull on her credit, which lowered her score. They also requested a household budget.

My wife was worried that something was amiss so I talked to them. I asked them if they need the information to investigate and the lady said no we gather the information a share it with the servicers WHO FUND THE NON PROFIT. The refused to give me the number to report servicing fraud.

How many others may be duped by these people, they gather information to assist identifying foreclosure victims. This is unconscionable. HUD has no number to report fraud in the HAMP program it goes to the shill for the industry.

A Google search reveals that allegedly Novadebt is a not for profit consumer credit counseling service.  Reviews on job sites by employees reveal the true story.  They should be avoided at all costs.

To report government fraud and abuses including with HAMP you go to the Department of the Treasury.  The link is here:  http://www.treasury.gov/services/report-fwa/Pages/ReportFWA.aspx

A: Are you sure that the number was obtained through HUD? It's, unfortunately, very common for companies to use official sounding website names to trick people into thinking that they are the real deal. If it doesn't say ".gov" at the end of the URL, don't believe that it's official. And, if it says ".gov" and there's a link, look at the URL for the link to see if you are still at an official site.

B: Soft pulls do not change your credit score. They would have had to do a hard pull, in order for it to matter. 

C: A general rule: NOBODY needs your SS number in order to take a complaint. NOBODY.

• Like 1

Was she trying to report abuse by a lender?

Here is the official site for HAMP:http://www.makinghomeaffordable.gov/pages/default.aspx (Note the ".gov" in the address)

Here is a a link to a phone number that rings in to the HAMP program: http://www.makinghomeaffordable.gov/Pages/homeowners_hopehotline.aspx?gclid=CI3L-Lzdi74CFahAMgodNTEARw

• Like 1

A: Are you sure that the number was obtained through HUD? It's, unfortunately, very common for companies to use official sounding website names to trick people into thinking that they are the real deal. If it doesn't say ".gov" at the end of the URL, don't believe that it's official. And, if it says ".gov" and there's a link, look at the URL for the link to see if you are still at an official site.

B: Soft pulls do not change your credit score. They would have had to do a hard pull, in order for it to matter. 

C: A general rule: NOBODY needs your SS number in order to take a complaint. NOBODY.

Yes the HUD number to report servicing fraud goes to that number for Novadebt at the number prompt. My wife it was on the phone and not on the website. The fact that they asked for that information when my wife specifically told them she wanted to report servicing fraud on the servicers part, is disturbing. When I talked to the lady and she asked me for the same info I told her that I would not give her the information based on her responses to the questions I asked.

Are you an investigative agency for servicing fraud?

she said no.

Why do you require this information?

she said to assist you in financial counseling.

How come the HUD number to report HAMP fraud goes to you?

She said I don't know.

Who do you share this information with?

she said they share with the mortgage owners and servicers because they provide funding for the non profit.

I said, I do not want you to share that info with them because we are reporting HAMP fraud.

She said that you would have to fund us personally for that.

So I told her do not share any information with anybody.

She hung up after that.

As for my wife giving the SS number she was under the impression and led to believe that it was to be used for loan identification. She says that when I talked to them the hair stood up on the back of her neck.

We will report the fraud but now it will be to the secret service because it is fraud through a government agency program. CFPB will get our complaints also as well as the CA AG this is huge because it is happening to millions.

Was she trying to report abuse by a lender?

Here is the official site for HAMP:http://www.makinghomeaffordable.gov/pages/default.aspx (Note the ".gov" in the address)

Here is a a link to a phone number that rings in to the HAMP program: http://www.makinghomeaffordable.gov/Pages/homeowners_hopehotline.aspx?gclid=CI3L-Lzdi74CFahAMgodNTEARw

Thank you for this information.

Here is some information from the HAMP website.

http://www.makinghomeaffordable.gov/learning-center/Pages/beware.aspx

Contact the Office of the Special Inspector General for the Troubled Asset Relief Program (SIGTARP) Hotline for HAMP-related scams by calling 1-877-SIG-2009 (1-877-744-2009) or using the SIGTARP online Hotline form.

•Call the Homeowners's HOPE Hotline at 888-995-HOPE (4673) to report a suspected scam and to get mortgage help.

•File a complaint online with the Loan Modification Scam Prevention Network. With your permission, the complaint will be forwarded to law enforcement agencies for their review and any action they deem appropriate.

•The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is the nation's consumer protection agency. If a business doesn't make good on its promises or cheats you out of money, the FTC wants to know. File a FTC complaint today.

•Submit a CFPB complaint online with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), or call 1-855-411-CFPB (2372).

I will update as the events unfold.

• Like 1

They have really pissed me off. It appears they are trying to engineer a default to get my homes equity. What can I do to stop them? I have been keeping meticulous records since 2007, and will further get an attorney to get into their backsides.

How do you stop them from misreporting payments and stop the fees from being assessed if you are current.

They are trying again, alleging 4 missed payments which I have all bank records for. I have taken to going to the bank every month for records. I have found through good info that in your Qualified Written Request, you shouls ask for account activity statement. They sent mine and it showed they did not credit 4 payments but put them in a suspense account which caused a default.

I have an attorney looking into it.

It is on F*&%@#s.

Stone cold busted the mortgage servicer hiding the payment we sent when they were taking over from BAC home loans, and making every subsequent payment late. We have also caught them hiding 4 other payments. Now the government is looking into it not because we made vague allegations, but because we realized that we must keep records of EVERY payment to prevent them from doing evil things. Having the specific payment information with the ACH tracking number has helped the government track the situation also.

Now they are backpedaling. But they made critical error, by never responding to the first RESPA, they have tolled the sol for every violation, and have exceeded the safe harbor provisions of the governing statutes.

Seadragon on the offensive.