Sign in to follow this  
homeschool mom

New Debt Collector uses "Strawman" for alleged Creditor: What do I do?

Received today a Statement from the new Debt Collector (MCM) collecting for an alleged creditor Asset Accept with address in Warren Michigan.  Did a little research and found out the address on MCM statement does not belong to alleged creditor  Asset Accept but MCM with a lawyer for a contact info.  With this blatant and outright misrepresentation of facts, I am trying to figure out if they are violating FDCPA rights, and if so, what is/are  my recourse?  Other details as follow:

1.  Asset Accept sued me in 2012 via their attorney Fulton Friedman Gullace.

2.  Entered into Stipulation to pay monthly.  Stipulation not on Court Docket but Court issued 3.1385 conditional settlement (to dismiss entire case upon my full payment of stipulated amount.  Stipulation has FFG to issue statements which they never did, but I paid anyhow).

3.  May 2014 FFG attorney got substituted out by MCM.  They had the substitution of attorney filed at the Court.

4.  Requested MCM  attorney-of-record to issue a Statement and Payment Schedule, which I got today.  However, I have noted that the Asset Accept address is not really theirs BUT MCM -- which makes me wonder - did MCM buy this debt?  and therefore no longer owned by Asset Accept? How about the Substitution of Attorney with Asset Accept as the Creditor (with a signature from an Asset Accept "employee") - filed with the Court?  If my observations are correct - MCM owns the debt but "pretending" to have Asset Acceptance as the creditor - both on their Billing Statement and the Substitution of Attorney filed with the Court - is there a Consumer Law violation involved?  If so, what is my recourse?

I need help please on how to deal with these people.

Thank you much for your assistance.

No strawman and Midland did not buy the debt. They bought Asset and as a result all their accounts and assets no pun intended.

No violation and nothing nefarious. Asset just got bought out by Midland. You agreed to a consent judgment. If you don't pay as agreed it will get very ugly.

In March 2013, Encore purchased Asset.

@usctrojanalum

Yes and Encore is an arm of Midland.  They are all one and the same now:

Recently, Asset Acceptance Capital Corporation was purchased by Encore Capital Group in March 2013. Encore Capital Group is the parent company of a debt-buyer, Midland Funding, and it’s collection arm, Midland Credit Management.

Kinda like the liquid metal terminator

More like the cockroach that keeps surviving the nuclear hollocaust.