Does Your DSL Suck?

Goldbug

The funny thing is that DSL in most of Europe is lightning fast. ISPs in the US give substandard speeds for high prices because we don't know any better. It used to be the same with TV reception, till HD. TV service in the US was awful. We didn't know any better, unless we traveled internationally. And not that many of us do.

• 1 month later...

I think it is unfortunate that we have come to expect sub-par service and have been started to accept the fact that our Internet Service Providers are going to take turns trying to take advantage of us (I was going to use a far cruder analogy at first). Just looking at where the US ranks on overall Internet speeds is ridiculous and embarrassing. 

Worse yet is that all sorts of companies - cable companies, cell phone co's, hospital's, etc. are now being combined into monstrosities.  So much for the progress made in breaking up monopolies (AT&T -> baby bells....).  Without competition, prices do not come down or they creep higher.  Service declines because in many areas, you are hostage to who you can have.

To make matters even worse, say you had a bad employment experience at 1 (Comcast) and you got a new job with the competitor...what happens to your job when Comcast buys them? 

• 2 weeks later...

Here I don't have DSL. It's a Cox cable connection through wifi. Sometimes Cox has outages that suck. Lately though it's been the wifi that has been a problem. I live in an apartment complex and the wifi has gotten crowded making wifi a challenge to use.

Nope. It does not suck. Provided by Century Link that acquired

Qwest , our former provider.

You might be surprised, though, at how much better it could be.

We live in a first tier suburb, where the cable lines are old, as are the phone and DSL lines. We pay for the second fastest DSL that Centurylink offers, and get it, according to tests, rarely.

I use a Mediacom cable modem.  I work from home and remote into my employer's network everyday.  As far as speed goes, I'm satisfied with cable...but...

The storms June 30/July 1 did something to Mediacom's infrastructure.  I had basic TV but no "On Demand" or internet...and, without the internet, I had no phone service.  Although I seldom leave my apartment, I do have a cell phone for emergencies.  I called every day for a week, getting the "...no service outage in your area..." crap, talking with tech support getting the "...we can't see your modem, we'll send out a tech, your appointment is for July 10th.." run-around.

I explained I needed the internet to work.  They said they'd see if "dispatch" could escalate the service call.

Right.

Suddenly, July 5th, everything started working again.  Just to be safe, I'll wait a couple days to cancel the service call.

I use a Mediacom cable modem.  I work from home and remote into my employer's network everyday.  As far as speed goes, I'm satisfied with cable...but...

The storms June 30/July 1 did something to Mediacom's infrastructure.  I had basic TV but no "On Demand" or internet...and, without the internet, I had no phone service.  Although I seldom leave my apartment, I do have a cell phone for emergencies.  I called every day for a week, getting the "...no service outage in your area..." crap, talking with tech support getting the "...we can't see your modem, we'll send out a tech, your appointment is for July 10th.." run-around.

I explained I needed the internet to work.  They said they'd see if "dispatch" could escalate the service call.

Right.

Suddenly, July 5th, everything started working again.  Just to be safe, I'll wait a couple days to cancel the service call.

And make certain that they credit you for the days of missed service on the internet, and the substandard on your TV.

We have ATT for our cells. I work from home, as well, so didn't notice that my data was down till I tried to send a text from Target.

When I called, they found I had been disconnected from the data on the cell tower, and when I said I had no idea how long, and why, they credited a full month for the data plan.

So the Mediacom tech came out yesterday.  Said my signal strength was low.  Replaced all the connectors.  Running pretty good until this morning then internet started bouncing up and down again.  I called tech support...turns out the tech was in the building today replacing equipment in the basement.  So...not just my problem after all...

I did call for credit...$21.37 for missing 4 days work.  Whooppee...

(Turns out I do have 30mbps on my hardwired PC.  My laptop goes wireless to my NetGear router and I'm only getting 13mbps here.  S'alright.  I'm happy.  The ROKU box in the bedroom streams wireless from the router just fine).

• 5 months later...

most of the cable providers are slow due to bad handling of Domain Name Servers. If you have access to your modems settings you can select to override the ISP's DNS and try Google DNS.

The Primary DNS is 8.8.8.8

The Secondary DNS is 8.8.4.4

After I changed mine, the connect speed tripled. I also selected DNS relay check box on my modem.

Most problems on high speed service are related to using old coax wire instead of RJ-6 coax. So if you are having problems with packet loss(which is the most prevalent) you can check you connections, I made sure my house wiring was RJ-6 and good connectors with one good splitter that I got from my ISP. So check those things first and maybe your speed will get better.

• Like 1