Sign in to follow this  
credit2011

Back up your docs on Google Drive as well as hard copy

I recommend also storing your docs in Google drive as well as hard copy and on your computer.

If your computer crashes or you loose those hard copies- this is an extra ounce of safety just in case for all the filed papers you use with the court.

Did you know the Smithsonian has a project to save and make available every film, record, tape recording, disk, etc. ever made? As part of this, they have a warehouse (I think its in New Jersey) where they have collected complete devices and repair parts for all of the computer storage devices made over the years? They have everything from large IBM Main Frame Disk Storage Units to 8 inch floppies to thumb drives. The complication is that each of those storage devices requires its own special hardware drivers and software systems. And the software requires an operating system that recognizes it, so they not only need a device that reads the media, they need a computer with the software that recognizes the drive.

My point is...if you have important documents that you might need to lay your hands on in 10 or 20 years, print them out. Make multiple hard copies. DO NOT rely on having the required computer equipment available to retrieve electronic copies.

This applies equally well to cloud storage. Don't expect the people that manage the devices that your documents are stored on to provide access for more than a couple of years. Technology moves too fast.

I have electronic copies of books I wrote back in the 1980's. On 8 inch floppies. In WordStar format. None of the six computers I have has an 8 inch floppy drive, which is ok because none of the operating systems could run WordStar. I do have hard copies.

• Like 1

Did you know the Smithsonian has a project to save and make available every film, record, tape recording, disk, etc. ever made? As part of this, they have a warehouse (I think its in New Jersey) where they have collected complete devices and repair parts for all of the computer storage devices made over the years? They have everything from large IBM Main Frame Disk Storage Units to 8 inch floppies to thumb drives. The complication is that each of those storage devices requires its own special hardware drivers and software systems. And the software requires an operating system that recognizes it, so they not only need a device that reads the media, they need a computer with the software that recognizes the drive.

My point is...if you have important documents that you might need to lay your hands on in 10 or 20 years, print them out. Make multiple hard copies. DO NOT rely on having the required computer equipment available to retrieve electronic copies.

This applies equally well to cloud storage. Don't expect the people that manage the devices that your documents are stored on to provide access for more than a couple of years. Technology moves too fast.

I have electronic copies of books I wrote back in the 1980's. On 8 inch floppies. In WordStar format. None of the six computers I have has an 8 inch floppy drive, which is ok because none of the operating systems could run WordStar. I do have hard copies.

There are multiple converters from WordStar format to more fashionable, like .docx (MS Word 2010).