Receiving calls threatening "service of legal papers"

tiger0912

Thanks for all of your advice in the past; my situation is slowly but surely improving.

I know the calls I've been receiving lately are definitely shady, likely illegal and probably a scam but I need some advice please.

Two days ago, I received a call from a blocked number. I never pick up for blocked numbers, and this time I had a voice message. It was from a "Jesus" saying he needed to serve me with a "notice of intent" for his client. Gave a "case number" and a phone number for me to call back. I searched the number and came up empty, other than for some tech firm on the East Coast, not a debt collector. I didn't respond.

Yesterday, he leaves another voice message saying he needs me to call back to confirm my residential address and he reads off part of my address (no unit number), that he needs to get my signature for this "notice of intent" and says I will need to be present and have 2 forms of ID. He says he will be serving me with this notice that day. Leaves the same "case number" and bogus phone number; does not identify who he is other than a first name nor does he say who he is, who he works for or who his "client" is.

Today, he leaves yet another message, says he hasn't heard from me and still needs to confirm my address, that he will be by tomorrow and that if I want to resolve this, I should contact his "client." If I don't by close of business today, I will be served.

I know this is all shady and nothing is on file with my county courthouse, so I'd love to know what this supposed "notice" is that he needs me to show 2 forms of ID to accept (not happening). But these calls are getting really annoying. I know I owe money to different creditors so the claim may or may not be valid, but I know this isn't the way he should be trying to collect this supposed debt and either way, I don't have the money right now.

So what do I do? Keep ignoring the calls? Call this bogus number and tell them to send a dunning letter? I don't really want to engage these people on the phone because clearly they aren't an ethical company, but I don't want to keep getting harassed or have someone pop me with papers.

save the voicemails  if any it may just be a scam unrelated to anything in your credit to try to do identity theft. They do this to a lot of seniors. Your telephone carrier can place a trace on the number if you file a complaint.You can set any phone not to receive blocked calls.

@tiger0912

More than likely, this is a scam.  Is that case number a valid number that would be used by your court?  Call and find out.  Chances are that it's not even valid.

If were me, next time he called, I'd tell him that I'm waiting for the process server.  Or, blow a loud whistle into the phone.  Or, in your sexiest voice, ask him what he's wearing (WARNING: he might like it).  ;-)

• Like 1

I know this is all shady and nothing is on file with my county courthouse, so I'd love to know what this supposed "notice" is that he needs me to show 2 forms of ID to accept (not happening).

There is NO notice.  First process servers do not require two forms of ID to serve you.  They simply ask if you are tiger0912 and hand you the papers.  That is it.  The statement requiring two forms of ID is meant to scare you into calling them.  

So what do I do? Keep ignoring the calls? Call this bogus number and tell them to send a dunning letter? I don't really want to engage these people on the phone because clearly they aren't an ethical company, but I don't want to keep getting harassed or have someone pop me with papers.

While you may owe creditors, you do not owe Jesus or what ever his name is a single penny.  This is a a scam pure and simple.  The goal is to scare you into paying them.  NO ONE is coming to your house to serve you.  He doesn't have a "client" and he is not a legitimate business.  If you do call them they will attempt to allow you to settle this without going to court for the reasonable amount of $400-600 payable by Western Union or pre-paid debit card.  The money is untraceable that way.  

Signs that this is a scam:

• a call from a blocked number.
  • they need to serve you with a "notice of intent" for their client.
  • Gave a "case number" and a phone number to call back.
  • searched the number and came up empty for phone or the company
  • they need to get a signature for this "notice of intent"
  • says I will need to be present and have 2 forms of ID. He says he will be serving me with this notice that day.
  • Leaves the same "case number" and bogus phone number; does not identify who he is other than a first name nor does he say who he is, who he works for or who his "client" is.

You most certainly can engage them safely as they are not a threat to you or anyone.  The ONLY way to get these calls to stop is to speak to them and make it clear you know it is a scam and that you will not be paying.  I also tell them friends and family have been forewarned of their calls and won't fall for it either.  One other option is to have a loud police whistle or air horn handy and when they call rupture his ear drums with it then yell "scammer" and hang up.  Eventually they figure out you won't fall for it and move on to another mark.  

• Like 1

You guys are great - I was starting to stress about this!

save the voicemails  

Voice mails have all been saved.

@tiger0912

Is that case number a valid number that would be used by your court?  

Most definitely not a valid number. It's a five digit number and case numbers in my county are about 15 digits long. I've had a case (dismissed) in this county before and it was a lengthy number; this is not.

You most certainly can engage them safely as they are not a threat to you or anyone.  The ONLY way to get these calls to stop is to speak to them and make it clear you know it is a scam and that you will not be paying.  I also tell them friends and family have been forewarned of their calls and won't fall for it either.  One other option is to have a loud police whistle or air horn handy and when they call rupture his ear drums with it then yell "scammer" and hang up.  Eventually they figure out you won't fall for it and move on to another mark.  

Thanks Clydesmom, your response was very helpful. I'll call them back today and tell them to stop calling or else I'll sue for harassment. I figured this wasn't legitimate as if they really needed to get in touch with me, they already have my address and can mail me papers, but needed the reassurance.

So I talked to them and they were rude and defensive as soon as they realized I wasn't going to cry and hand over my financial information. I recorded the call, spoke to a supervisor, and he said he could "email" me the papers.  Uh huh........sure.  Needless to say, I haven't received papers and don't expect to, but I did finally get a business name - ROC.  Looked them up and they're not licensed to collect in my state, so I will be filing a complaint with the state.  Has anyone dealt with these jerks before?  Know how I can get them to stop calling me?

So I talked to them and they were rude and defensive as soon as they realized I wasn't going to cry and hand over my financial information. I recorded the call, spoke to a supervisor, and he said he could "email" me the papers.  Uh huh........sure.  Needless to say, I haven't received papers and don't expect to, but I did finally get a business name - ROC.  Looked them up and they're not licensed to collect in my state, so I will be filing a complaint with the state.  Has anyone dealt with these jerks before?  Know how I can get them to stop calling me?

Now that they know it won't work you can expect they most likely will not call again.  Without knowing what ROC stands for it is impossible to say.  More than likely it is not a real business and not even in the USA.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0258-fake-debt-collectors

ROC Assoc. LLC

http://www.manta.com/c/mm2k5qz/roc-associates-llc

ROC Asset Solutions LLC

http://regencyoneasset.com/

@Clydesmom is correct.  It's not a legitimate business, and you probably won't hear from them again.  They want to talk to people whom they can "terrorize" into paying.

However, you do need to file a complaint with your state attorney general and department of consumer affairs.  Be sure to provide the phone numbers connected to the caller. 

• Like 1

They cannot "email" the papers to you if they involve the courts. There is no system of service via email in place that the courts will accept. They must either be served to you in person (preferred) or by mail/door post/newspaper or combination of above as substitute if suspected that the person is avoiding service.

You will not hear from these people again however. They now know that there is no way you are going to fall for it. You are lucky to even get the company name as most will not even give that out so you must have rattled them a little bit. Great way to reverse the tables on these scammers.

I will definitely be reporting them to my state's AG and financial institutions division and New York's AG. So no need to send them a C&D? I really don't care and they can go pound sand as far as I'm concerned, but I do want them to go away permanently. They called my grandparents (in their 80s) 1500 miles away before I called these scam artists back and scared them into thinking that I was about to be sued and arrested. I want to be sure they are left alone.

Any idea how these people operate? They had just enough information about me to raise my hackles, but enough of it was incomplete that I knew they didn't have a legitimate debt. Scary. I can easily see how anyone who hadn't done some research like I did could be scared into giving them money. 

@WhoCares1000 I think I rattled them when I told each person I talked to that I was recording the call and that I would press charges for harassment and a lawsuit for violating federal law if they continued harassing me. I actually was recording the call too - I downloaded a free app on my phone before I called.

The one company that had an actual address I could trace I actually did send a full cease and desist to.  You have nothing to lose by doing so.  

Their business model is simple:  they phish enough of your personal information from the internet or by hacking a database then call you with the scenario hoping to scare you, a friend, or relative into paying.  The amount is always between $400-600 and they want it via Western Union or a pre-paid debit card.  The money can't be traced that way.  If you pay they add your name to the sucker list.  That list then goes to their buddy at the next desk who waits 90-120 days and calls again with a brand new debt you owe their new company on.

If they call 10,000 people a weak and 10% fall for it and pay an average of $500 each that equates to $50,000 a week and a whopping $2.6 million per year.  Even if they get 3% of the people to pay that is a tidy sum simply for making a phone call.

I had one of those calls just this afternoon only in my case she had told me her name was LUCILLE BALL. 

I would have replied "Wha' hoppen?"  (That's for "I Love Lucy" fans)  :-)

I would have replied they "had some splainin' to do" then done the horn thing.

I received a scam email from the FBI about my settlement from Nigeria urging me to contact Special Agent Aaron Hotchner.  If you watch Criminal Minds you know this too is a character on a TV show.  I forwarded it to CBS for their amusement.  

• Like 2

I received a scam email from the FBI about my settlement from Nigeria urging me to contact Special Agent Aaron Hotchner.  If you watch Criminal Minds you know this too is a character on a TV show.  I forwarded it to CBS for their amusement.  

That is funny !!  Any response from CBS ??   Some years back here in Denver even though it wasn't reported in the local media but I remember the stories from neighbors and friends but apparently there was some kind of scam where the people who were calling had used the names of local Denver area broadcasters in trying to get money such as Peter Boyles, Tom Martino even Ed Greene who is the weatherman for our local CBS channel. My boss had received one such strange call from a woman who "knew" Bertha Lynn who at the time was an anchor for our local KMGH-TV channel 7. If he didn't give them money she would "contact" Bertha Lynn who would then broadcast on the news on KMGH that my boss was a deadbeat. My boss said "go ahead..I will be watching". Later he contacted KMGH about this perhaps thinking this could be a story in its own right but unfortunately KMGH wasn't interested.