Citibank continued to charge me after I settled with them.

determined2fight

Hey guys, I had a credit card with Citi cards and in 2010, they sent me a letter, agreeing to settle the debt.  I paid the settled amount.  However, they applied the money to my account as if it were a payment and continued to try to collect from me up until a month ago.  Four years after settling the debt with them, they continued to post late payments.  Recently, they sold my debt to a collections agency.  Is this illegal?

To expand on what @TomnTex stated...if you have an agreement, signed by both parties, to the settlement, it's definitely not legal, and you have recourse. If that is the case, I would find a good NACA attorney, and sue for FDCPA violations. If you ever disputed the amounts owed on your credit report, I would also be asking for sanctions for the FCRA violations, as well. 

If you have the letter from them, offering the settlement amount, and your cancelled check within the time frame that the letter is signed, you may still have recourse, and I would do the same thing.

But, if you only have your own memory of the offer, even with the cancelled check, and you never contacted them or the CRAs to dispute the continuing reporting of the debt and an increasing balance, then it's your word against theirs. They have deeper pockets, more practice with lying and you only have, possibly, the advantage that this is four years ago, and may be close to or beyond the SOL. (I don't know what your SOL is in MI.)

@Wins the Battle, i was able to pull up the emailed copy of the letter.  It's from the citibank collection agency.  It says that its regarding my citibank visa card ending in **** for 1600.00.  It then goes on to say that their client has agreed to accept 600.00 for payment in full of the account.  It says sincerely Willie Jackson.  However, it was not signed.  Am i pretty much out of luck?  (I paid through money gram and I would still be able to get a copy of the payment that I made to them.)