Verifying with CRA but not validating

Drake Savory

First of all, out of the 30 day window.  Not my choice but the wife didn't tell me about any letters from the CA.  Maybe we didn't even get a letter but good luck working that angle considering CAs are not required to actually prove they sent a letter.

I disputed the items with the CRA and sent a DV letter.  My question is if they are unable to produce paperwork to validate the debt, can they still legally verify the debt with the CRA?

My question is if they are unable to produce paperwork to validate the debt, can they still legally verify the debt with the CRA?

Yes.  They are only required to produce paperwork if they sue you in a court of law.  The threshold for validation with you after a DV is so low you can trip over it.  They are only required to provide you with the amount they allege you owe along with the name and address of the original creditor.  They can send that information in their own letter they do not have to include any paperwork.  

When the CRA contacts them it will be via E-Oscar electronically and the creditor will respond with an electronic code simply validating the account.  They are not required to send paper proof to the CRAs to continue reporting.