StlCards

Beat Midland this morning

So a few months ago I asked for a DV letter.

And they sent a letter, with their letter head on there.

The only other "proof" they sent me was a affidavit from an employee from Midland.

So I'm assuming that is why they dropped the case, they had absolutely no proof.

Thanks again to everyone.

I never would have tried to stand up to them without this board.

@StlCards

Can you PM the affidavit from Midland or post it on the board.

Thanks.

All winners are not lawyers .... they probably had 4 years of law school.

Law school is three years not four.

• Like 1

Law school is three years not four.

Kinda depends on where you go to law school...don't you think...

• Like 1

CA actually has online law school which is 4 years. Un accredited law schools are also 4 years.

A perfect demonstration of why lawyers are needed for certain people in certain circumstances....

Unaccredited law schools will not allow someone who graduates to take the Bar exam in any state.  The first requirement is that the school you graduate from be accredited.  Students also do not get Graduate Plus loans if they are in an unaccredited program.  Post the link to ONE unaccredited program that is graduating lawyers who go on to actually practice the law.

I'm not going to bother posting any links for you, or participate with your trolling.

No one mentioned anything about financing the law school, or housing or whatever else you come up with next. Only the amount in years to complete was discussed.

In CA you can go to an un accredited law school and be allowed to take the bar exam, but it takes the extra year in school, making it 4 years. You cannot take the bar and practice in another state until you have completed 10 years of practice in CA.

Do your own research if you are truly interested.

• Like 1

I would take the simple route... I would send a letter to Midland reminding them that THEY dismissed the case because they KNEW that they could not prove either ownership of the account or that this was my debt or the amount of said debt.  By continuing to report said debt they are violating the FDCPA (reporting false information).

I would follow that up with the insistence that they immediately remove the derogatory information from the bureaus.  :p

Unaccredited law schools will not allow someone who graduates to take the Bar exam in any state.  The first requirement is that the school you graduate from be accredited.  Students also do not get Graduate Plus loans if they are in an unaccredited program.  Post the link to ONE unaccredited program that is graduating lawyers who go on to actually practice the law.

In case anyone is considering this route, in California, students from unaccredited law schools may take the Bar Exam.  Here is the rule:  http://www.calbar.ca.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=sTLlEzERQUM%3d&tabid=2662

There are additional hurdles such as a first year exam (commonly called a "baby bar") that are designed to protect students from spending tons of money if they have no realistic chance of passing the bar.

• Like 1

@calawyer

Thanks for the info on law schools and the baby bar.  Any recommendations for the 4 year schools ?

I would be interested in your opinion on the second / third tier law schools in California.  I think California is the only state

that allows distance/online/correspondence law students access to the California bar.

• Like 1

Abraham Lincoln University. Distance on line law school. Now nationally acredited. In the last 5 years it has produced 140 practicing attorneys with an above average bar exam pass rate of 40%.

I would also be interested in Calawyer opinion.

I really don't have a recommendation.  What you would want to evaluate is the percentage of students that passes the bar exam on their first attempt.  Then you compare that figure with the state-wide average.  The California Bar exam is VERY difficult.  The first-time pass rate is low.  But if a 4 year school has a pass rate that is comparable to the state average, then at least some of the students are receiving adequate instruction.

I think the pass rate is about 54 percent and none of the T-2/T-3 schools (ABA=Tier 1), even come close.  So you are really left with selecting the best of the worst.

ALU's "nationally accredited" moniker is marketing fluff - they are accredited by some distance education council, 

So they are rated for internet technology, they just check institutional hygiene, not legal education fundamentals.

Their 40 percent  FYLSX rate is 7 passes out of 18 takes (38.9). Not bad, but not good.

About correspondence law schools in CA

[edit]

Northwestern California University School of Law is the oldest existing correspondence law school in the United States. It was founded in 1982 and began presenting its correspondence program entirely online in 2002. It is the first online law school to offer Internet based and faculty led videoconferencing sessions for students for some courses.[13]

In 1996, Abraham Lincoln University began a hybrid in-class and correspondence approach to law school, designed to offer scheduling flexibility to students, before adding an online component in 2004.[14][not in citation given]

The first law school to offer a degree program completely online was Concord Law School, a unit of Kaplan, Inc., which started in 1998. As of 2006 Concord is the largest of the seven distance learning law schools.[15] Concord graduated its first class in November 2002.[16]

The California School of Law, founded in 2007, is the first law school to utilize synchronous technology in all courses.[17] Such technology provides direct communication between professors and students in live “real time” virtual classroom

@debtzapper

@willingtocope

Thanks for all the great info on lawyers, lawyering, law schools, etc., but I think we may be encroaching on the Midland thread. Perhaps we can ask the admin to move this to a separate thread.

Willingtocope:

Hon, can you move this law school conversation to a separate thread.  I was already yelled at for asking a question!

Best Regards.

@debt_warrior

Willingtocope:

Hon, can you move this law school conversation to a separate thread.

Did you happen to end up in CA by way of the South?   :-)