Can one lawfirm pass a debt to another law firm and 2nd one claim they got from OC?

Can one law firm pass a debt to another law firm and 2nd one claim they got from OC?

The 1st law firm replied to a DV letter I must of sent to them and then I never heard anything from them again. They responded with one statement to validate.

The second law firm filed suit. So in essence they purchased this from the 1st law firm and not the OC?

• Like 1

Can one law firm pass a debt to another law firm and 2nd one claim they got from OC?

Yes.  If the OC retained the first firm and they sent the letter and then in the mean time the OC hired a different firm then the files would be transferred to law firm #2 and that is still getting the account from the OC even though law firm #1 dunned you first.

The 1st law firm replied to a DV letter I must of sent to them and then I never heard anything from them again. They responded with one statement to validate.

If the statement they sent included the amount you allegedly owe and the name/address of the OC then it meets the requirement for DV with you under the FCDPA.  Regardless of any other items you demanded in your letter.

The second law firm filed suit. So in essence they purchased this from the 1st law firm and not the OC?

No.  They may not have purchased this debt at all.  I suspect that when it comes to litigation the OC decided to use law firm #2 and merely transferred the case to that firm.  It isn't illegal and happens all the time.

You need to sort out the players.  Did the first lawyer claim to own the debt, or were they just acting as a CA for the OC?  If they didn't own it, then the answer is yes.  If they didn't own it, then maybe the second lawyer is lying...but...

the letter states from law firm #1 they say" This office represents the above named creditor that purchased your indebteness from the original creditor shown above" The 2nd JDB is listed on the letter- So perhaps the JDB used another law firm to sue? Cause they are the 2nd lawyers.

They , the 1st law firm  name Original Creditor- the bank and the account as the JDB

Would I have a right to ask for that transfer in discovery?

Credit,

You are using alot of different terms to describe how this account went from the OC to current Plaintiff/Ownwer. (passed, purchased, transfered)

I believe your question is related to chain of title, which you are searching for a issue with the chain of title. As others have stated a Collection Attorney, does not always buy/purchase debts. In fact in many instances they are just representing the owner of the debt.

So most likely this wouldn't be a good area to pursue discovery.