Collection and original account

I have two collections on my report and they are from two charge offs, also on the report.   However, the collection accounts have different start dates and account numbers but are the same dollar amount as the charge offs.  Can both be on the report or do they have to state it is the same account?

Poppabear47

I have two collections on my report and they are from two charge offs, also on the report.   However, the collection accounts have different start dates and account numbers but are the same dollar amount as the charge offs.  Can both be on the report or do they have to state it is the same account?

Poppabear47

Yes, both the original creditor charge off and the collection agency/JDB can be on your credit report.  The reason for the different dates is that the collection agency/JCB can only report for the date(s) they actually opened the account with their business until the present or they no longer have it and they typically assign their own internal account number.  As long as the amount owed matches the OC it is reporting accurately.  This will not re-age the collections accounts.  They fall off at the same time as the charged off accounts.

• 3 weeks later...

Poppabear47

The "Start" dates are probably the date that the CAs either started reporting it or the date it was assigned to them, as long as they're not reporting a different "DOLA" or "DOFD" than the OC.  You're still looking at the 7 years from the DOLA with the OC.

If it is actually showing a 'balance' amount other than zero on the OC's tradeline, then it is still owned by the OC and you're not dealing with a JDB. (this means you could wiggle around the CA with some effort and possibly work to get the collection entry removed, maybe).

If it is actually charged off and the collection entry is from a JDB, then the OC must be showing a zero balance because you no longer owe them, but they can still both, either way, report it until the 7 years fall off.

• 1 month later...