Suttell and Hammer

Last Saturday evening a guy shows up at my door and hands me a set of papers.

Suttell and Hammer are suing me for a debt just under $3000. From what I've seem on Credit Karma the actual debt with interest and charges is for over $5000. I'm not sure why the numbers don't match.

I believe it is a Bank of America debt but they are collecting for an entity named Cavalry.

There is no case number on the top sheet of the document and it has three sections, the middle being something for people in the military.

I am not sure what to do about this. I am only making about $15 an hour. If this is my debt I would like to pay it (and it very well may be) but I have very little money and certainly can't pay any sort of lump sum.

Has anyone had experience with these guys? What would be my best course of action?

If I need to supply more info just let me know.

Thanks.

Last Saturday evening a guy shows up at my door and hands me a set of papers.

Suttell and Hammer are suing me for a debt just under $3000. From what I've seem on Credit Karma the actual debt with interest and charges is for over $5000. I'm not sure why the numbers don't match.

I believe it is a Bank of America debt but they are collecting for an entity named Cavalry.

There is no case number on the top sheet of the document and it has three sections, the middle being something for people in the military.

I am not sure what to do about this. I am only making about $15 an hour. If this is my debt I would like to pay it (and it very well may be) but I have very little money and certainly can't pay any sort of lump sum.

Has anyone had experience with these guys? What would be my best course of action?

If I need to supply more info just let me know.

Thanks.

Cavalry is a bottom feeding junk debt buyer.  You have to defend this suit.  The reality is WA is a very pro creditor state.  There are some threads on the site here from people who recently defended their cases.  I would read up on them and see if you can improve on their results.

Yes you have to file paperwork. You have to file an answer to the lawsuit denying their claims within a certain timeframe. My state is 20 days. You have to look at washington rules of civil procedure and find out how many days you have to get your answer in.   Everything should be time stamped at court and signed by you and if you are married you spouse as well.  Then you have to send a copy of what you filed in court to the atty.

If you go to the pinned section at the top , the last one down is questions to be answered when being sued, this will make it easier to help you.