Paid utility company directly, which direction now?

myscoresawful

I have a cable bill that is from February 2013.  When I moved, a family member was suppose to turn in my cable box but apparently sold it instead.  By the time this caught up with me in the state I moved to, it was already in collections.  I do see that this is actually the second CA they've assigned it to.  I am looking at this collection falling off in 2020!! 

I know that it is too new to hope for anything other than paying it and at least it will start showing paid (If I can't get it removed), so I did pay it.  About 2 weeks ago, I went to my bank and had a cashier's check made out to the cable company and sent it to THEM (the cable company) with a letter apologizing and explaining the circumstances.  

Is there a chance they will send my payment back to me, advising me to send it to the CA, or can they endorse it and send it to the CA to deposit in the CA's bank account so that they CA can legally change the status of the collection account to Paid?

If the OC deposits it, then should I send a debt validation to both the CA and the credit bureau?

Watch your CR for about 45 days to see what happens to this trade line.  If no change, leave it alone, for now.

Most times the creditor will deposit the check, tell their assignee, and all is done.  Yes, they've forwarded the check to the CA other times.  In your case here, it looks like the cable posted the check, and notified the collector, resulting in your CR update.  You could challenge the collector's trade line in that they were not involved in the transaction, received their payment according to assignment, and should delete trade line.  In the past, some have sent a dispute to the agencies, then, when the collector verified, they challenged them, claiming the collector verified a debt they were not involved with.  Response was about half and half.

Spend some time reading threads from the past and see what you can find.

After reading "tomnTex" above post, I thought it best to include something.  If you are ever in this position again, do not just pay, and try to fix later.  I know you weren't familiar with the game yet, so, don't get mad at yourself, or feel bad.  What many have done is send a letter stating you will pay if they delete.  Too many times the CA/JDB/ATTY will deny this, while the  OC will "pass the buck" to the CA.  Over time, you'll learn many things here. 

If you are not going to be buying anything on credit, or apply for a CC (please don't do this, for any reason), or apply for a mortgage, let it sit for a while, then, come back and look for ways to get a deletion.  There are other tricks you can pull, just wait a while.  No, they are not 100% result guaranteed.

Also, if you aren't aware, over time that debt will "season" in on your CR, and, not affect score as much as it did in beginning.  Auto sales look mostly at score.  Mortgages look at all collections and require a zero balance and paid.

Think about it.  Do read the archives, and other topics fitting your, and learn all you can.

Most time when you try to settle and they get your money, you then get royally  screwed. It NEVER works out the way you want it to, well, maybe .001% of the time you might. Sorry to hear that another got run over by the JDB's of America. 

What part of my post gave you that idea?  There is no JDB involved.

After reading "tomnTex" above post, I thought it best to include something.  If you are ever in this position again, do not just pay, and try to fix later.  I know you weren't familiar with the game yet, so, don't get mad at yourself, or feel bad.  What many have done is send a letter stating you will pay if they delete.  Too many times the CA/JDB/ATTY will deny this, while the  OC will "pass the buck" to the CA.  Over time, you'll learn many things here. 

If you are not going to be buying anything on credit, or apply for a CC (please don't do this, for any reason), or apply for a mortgage, let it sit for a while, then, come back and look for ways to get a deletion.  There are other tricks you can pull, just wait a while.  No, they are not 100% result guaranteed.

Also, if you aren't aware, over time that debt will "season" in on your CR, and, not affect score as much as it did in beginning.  Auto sales look mostly at score.  Mortgages look at all collections and require a zero balance and paid.

Think about it.  Do read the archives, and other topics fitting your, and learn all you can.

Wow, why all of the assumptions here?  retmar I've been a member for about 7 years now and am quite familiar with 'the game', after all, I did know enough about it to have an $11K repo deleted because they were in violation.  It's been a long time since a collection was placed on my account and 'the game' changes from time to time. 

I already knew this company would not do a pfd.  I knew the OC still owned it.  I am also aware that as time goes by the collection would affect my score less and less.  I also know that the year 2020 is long time from now and even if I can't (but I believe I will) get this removed with a dispute now, there is a much higher possibility that in a year from now,  they will not validate, on he other hand, if it had still been unpaid, I'm sure they would.

You did partially suggest an answer to one of my 2 questions in your first comment. For that I thank you.

Sorry about that!  That's what I get for not checking first.  For some reason, I must have thought you were a new member.  Forgive me, I'm old.

Then, you are aware of the old game, CHOD.  That might be worth a try.  It is a 50/50 as you are well aware.

Your idea of disputing down the road to see how the CA responds, then challenge accordingly, is many times a winner.  As you noted, with time, the CA may ignore the dispute, and allow for deletion.

The only other thing I can think of now is to go through the statutes looking for the tiniest of details they missed, and challenge there.

Sorry about that!  That's what I get for not checking first.  For some reason, I must have thought you were a new member.  Forgive me, I'm old.

Then, you are aware of the old game, CHOD.  That might be worth a try.  It is a 50/50 as you are well aware.

Your idea of disputing down the road to see how the CA responds, then challenge accordingly, is many times a winner.  As you noted, with time, the CA may ignore the dispute, and allow for deletion.

The only other thing I can think of now is to go through the statutes looking for the tiniest of details they missed, and challenge there.

I'm getting up there too :) which is why I don't want to start all over with the CA & JDB Scrimmages.  Once I cleaned up my credit several years ago, I didn't do anything to try and raise it (like you mentioned, applying for credit cards, etc).  So my score wasn't all that high when this was first reported, but it wasn't bad credit.  I did recently get a credit card and the first month it was reported, my fico (EQ) jumped 55 points and that was the only change it noted.

Anyway, I included this account in a CMRR letter to EQ along with several disputed hard inquiries.  We'll see what happens.

Sorry, skimmed it real quick. I am on my way to Hawaii for a month, so I didn't have time to read it right.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

The only other thing I can think of is if they verify the debt, especially with your latest dispute, challenge them directly with verifying a debt they were not a party to. Their assignment is between them and the cable company, not you. They are a third party. If they feel any of their efforts deserve compensation, it is up to their client, not you. Take a walk through the FDCPA and see if anything might fit your situation, and use it accordingly, to find violations, etc. Even look up old court decisions to see if any verbiage fits you, then apply it to your challenge.