Medical Bill

urbanjo1

I have an issue I need some advice on.

I was in a car accident in 2006. I subsequently went to a doctor and had some shots done for my neck and back in late 2006. I signed a document that was a payment agreement that has "by this seal" in the signature line. The doctor and the facility both billed my insurance company and were paid under the terms of the insurance payout guidelines.

Now, 7 1/2 years later, the facility is coming to me for the difference that was written off as part of the normal insurance payment. You know how they bill $1000 and the insurance company pays $300 and they write of the rest. Well, they are now coming to me for the difference of the $700. I have insurance Explanation of Benefits that state this payment is the agreed payment to the facility for the services rendered.

I am fairly certain that I paid my co-pays (they don't show those payments in the made-up statement they sent me). I called them and sent them a letter that I paid my co-pays and the insurance company paid them their due amount, but they said that didn't matter, that I owe the $700 they wrote off as it was an accident that was settled. 

After I sent them the letter, I then received a letter from an attorney attempting to collect?

Can they legally come after me 7 years later for the difference?

As an aside, there was a suit involved and it was settled in 2008 with no acknowlegment of guilt by the other party. The creditor is saying since there was a settled suit, they can come after me for the $700, although none of the 20 other medical providers have done this, even the doctor who performed the shots at the facility?There was no proof the accident caused the need for the shots as it was 9 months after the accident and 5 months after back surgery.

I don't have cancelled checks from 7 years ago, neither does my bank, so I can't prove I paid the co-pays. 

Your help and advice please?

I have an issue I need some advice on.

I was in a car accident in 2006. I subsequently went to a doctor and had some shots done for my neck and back in late 2006. I signed a document that was a payment agreement that has "by this seal" in the signature line. The doctor and the facility both billed my insurance company and were paid under the terms of the insurance payout guidelines.

Now, 7 1/2 years later, the facility is coming to me for the difference that was written off as part of the normal insurance payment. You know how they bill $1000 and the insurance company pays $300 and they write of the rest. Well, they are now coming to me for the difference of the $700. I have insurance Explanation of Benefits that state this payment is the agreed payment to the facility for the services rendered.

First:  When you have a medical service and they bill $1000 and the contracted amount is $600 they do not "write off" the rest.  They take the payment of the agreed amount in their contract with your insurance carrier.  

The problem you have is that you got a settlement on top of using your health insurance for an accident.  I am surprised that your carrier did not come after you for reimbursement under their right of subrogation.

It does not matter what other providers did.  This provider is free to do what they want to in regards to the money they are owed.

The SOL for suing on a written contract in MD is 3 years so it appears they cannot sue you. I would consult a personal injury attorney and ask about what they are demanding.  I suspect that because this is an auto accident and you signed under seal what you created was a medical lien against the settlement which does obligate you to pay the billed amount NOT the contracted amount with your carrier.  If they do have a medical lien they will not have to sue you to collect.  They can get a garnishment of wages or bank accounts with the lien.

Consult a personal injury attorney to find out what your liability is under your situation.