Received dunning letter from Northland Group

tiger0912

Hi again,

I received a dunning letter from Northland Group today, stating a Citibank account for over $5K has been assigned to them for collection. Debt is likely legitimate and within SOL, although I'm not sure on the amount. I will be sending a DV, but any ideas on what I should do assuming they respond to the DV? I definitely don't have the full amount on hand, and to be honest, my finances are very limited so even if I were to do a payment plan, it would have to be for a small amount and would drag on for years. I don't want to get sued though either. Has anyone dealt with Northland before?

• 3 months later...

Thanks, nobk4me. I did send a DV and they responded with a form letter saying here is our validation, now we can resume collection activities, please contact us to resolve this account. All they provided in addition to the form letter is copies of the last few months of my account statements from Citi.

So, suggestions on my next steps please? Northland is a CA licensed to collect in my state.

Northland typically sends lots of letters but does nothing else.  That does not mean that they won't turn it back over to Citi who will sue.  

The statements are sufficient to validate.  All they have to provide is the name/address of the creditor and amount you owe.  

What you do from here only you can decide.  I personally would wait them out.  When did you default?

Clydesmom, last payment was in September 2012, so still well within SOL. I understand Citi uses South Dakota's SOL of 6 years.

The CC SOL in NV is 4 years and that is where Citi would have to sue you therefore the NV SOL would apply.  NV law will not allow them to extend the SOL longer than its own state law.  However, you still have 2 more years to ride this out on the NV SOL.

My plan is to not respond to the letter and see what they do next.

That is what I would do.  Let us know how it goes.

• 1 month later...

Update: they've sent me a settlement offer for a sizable amount off, but still out of my price range. According to them, payments should be made to OC. Should I respond with a letter that states while I'm not admitting to the debt, I'm willing to offer a one time payment for less than what they offered to make them go away?

Update: they've sent me a settlement offer for a sizable amount off, but still out of my price range. According to them, payments should be made to OC. Should I respond with a letter that states while I'm not admitting to the debt, I'm willing to offer a one time payment for less than what they offered to make them go away?

Bump! TIA!