snooks86

Disputed with credit agencies and got my first letter from a CA

So I disputed all the negative items on my credit report a few weeks ago and I got all the return receipts back. Today, I received a letter from one of the collection agencies that I disputed and was curious what do I do next?

The letter says they received my dispute from the credit agencies and would like to speak to me promptly about the matter. They're requesting additional info, but not saying what info they want. All they're saying is to call their consumer relations line.

Do I ignore or what?

Thanks!

@snooks86When you disputed with the CRAs about that particular CA's entry, what exactly was the basis of your dispute?

Hi and thanks for responding. In the letter, I just put that it wasn't mine and asked for a deletion. It's really strange cause there were two AT&T Mobility accounts on my credit report but from different CA's. There were 9 negative items I disputed and I said the same thing for all of them.

@snooks68

To dispute as "not mine" is rather generic. They probably want information from you as to why it's not yours. The best disputes are the ones that are more specific such as disputing the amount, date of first delinquency, etc.

You could try making those disputes with the credit reporting agencies.

Just to do a follow up, Experian thought that a 3rd party vendor was sending in the dispute letter cause I didn't send a copy of my govt id and proof of address, so I did so and now I'm waiting for them to verify the items in question. 

The good thing is that Equifax deleted 4 out of 5 negative items and Transunion deleted 6 out of 8 negative items so the items that overlap with Experian, hopefully they delete. I think it'll work in my favor. 

There is one thing that the above 2 "verified" so I guess I'm going to have to write the collection agency asking for proof.

• Like 1

This CA that sent the letter ... is this the first time you ever heard from them?  If so, did the letter include the disclaimer that you have the right to dispute the debt within 30 days and did it say "this is a communication from a debt collector" on it?

Did they include who the OC is and how much you owe?

I would probably ignore their request for additional info and wait for the CRA to report back the results. If they verify, then send a letter to the collection agency stating that you disputed with the CRA, it was verified, and now you ask that they provide proof the debt is yours. They really don't have to provide anything to you but this is what worked for me to get a couple of negative entries off my report. This worked the easiest with MCM )Midland Credit Management).