Issue with utility company - turned off power, still got billed, was supposed to receive final bill, instead got sent to collections

Brokestudent2012

I am really upset about this. I had an apartment and I moved back in March, cancelled my service, and the utility company continued to charge me for the electricity. I found out about this in July and requested NO LESS THAN FOUR TIMES that they send me itemized bills from March until July (when they cancelled the service for "non-payment" for the bills incurred after I shut it off until July). I got the name, date, and rep ID of each and every rep I spoke to from the power company, and they all told me that the debt would not go to collections until I had a chance to review the bill and respond.

Yesterday, after nearly 3 months and over 4 requests, I finally received a statement. This morning, what do you know, there's a negative entry on my credit report from some sketch collector for the amount. I am really angry about this. This collector apparently doesn't do PFD, and both the collector and the utility company's billing offices are closed until Monday. I was told a number of times by a number of agents at the power company that this would not go to collections until I got a bill and had a chance to review it, and literally the day after I got the bill, it went on my CR.

I emailed the power company this evening, and I'm going to call the power company on Monday and request a supervisor and ask them to recall the debt from the CA, as I was told by a million different reps that this wouldn't happen... but this kind of stuff is just ridiculous. I'm a student and I don't have time for this... any advice from anyone?

This morning, I paid the entire bill directly to the utility company just to avoid the tradeline going on my credit report at all (they stated they wouldn't even put it on there as "paid" as long as I paid it immediately). I plan on disputing the charge on my credit card as I know the amount is incorrect.

Here are my questions:

(1) The DC contacted me for the first time on Saturday and still has not sent out a dunning letter. I paid it on Tuesday and plan on disputing it - does my paying it affect their responsibility for sending me a dunning letter within 5 days as per FDCPA law?

(2) If I dispute it on my credit card, will this kick the amount back into collections and thus making the DC responsible for sending a dunning letter?

(1) The DC contacted me for the first time on Saturday and still has not sent out a dunning letter. I paid it on Tuesday and plan on disputing it - does my paying it affect their responsibility for sending me a dunning letter within 5 days as per FDCPA law?

They only have to SEND it to you within 5 days.  You do not have to receive it within five days.  If they contacted you on Saturday 5 days would be Thursday at the earliest and given no mail goes on Sunday most likely Friday.  There are 3 more days in that five day requirement.

(2) If I dispute it on my credit card, will this kick the amount back into collections and thus making the DC responsible for sending a dunning letter?

No it will not make them responsible for sending a dunning letter.  What it likely will do is push them to immediately report the debt to the bureaus.

They only have to SEND it to you within 5 days.  You do not have to receive it within five days.  If they contacted you on Saturday 5 days would be Thursday at the earliest and given no mail goes on Sunday most likely Friday.  There are 3 more days in that five day requirement.

No it will not make them responsible for sending a dunning letter.  What it likely will do is push them to immediately report the debt to the bureaus.

- So, do they still have to mail it to me, being that I paid it (although, again, even though it's likely immaterial at this point, it was for the amount they requested but that amount is incorrect).