Determined1

Credit Bureau Reinsertion - Creditor Name Change

Hi,

I disputed an entry on my credit reports approximately four years ago and the credit bureaus all removed the entry. After ordering my updated reports this week, I see that one of the credit bureaus added a new creditor's account to my report, shown in a delinquent status. I had never heard of the party, so I looked them up online. It looks like either the party I first disputed had a name change, or they were acquired by this new party. It's hard to be 100% certain thus far, but public corporate records on file with my state show a simple name change.

My question pertains to to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Section 611, which states:  

(ii) Notice to consumer. If any information that has been deleted from a consumer's file pursuant to subparagraph (A) is reinserted in the file, the consumer reporting agency shall notify the consumer of the reinsertion in writing not later than 5 business days after the reinsertion or, if authorized by the consumer for that purpose, by any other means available to the agency.

I never received notice of a "reinsertion."  My belief is this is a reinsertion, as it shows similar account details that I disputed 4 years ago, and an alleged creditor's new name. However, the credit bureau is likely looking at as a new party, therefore a new entry is appropriate in their eyes.  

How would you go about disputing this, as a "reinsertion" - or......?

• Like 1