Directv collection cancellation fee

Hi

I had directv for about 12 month all paid and then I cancelled it and it went to collection. They want $250 for cancellation fee and AFNI put it in my credit report.

I called AFNI and told them that my apartment manager doesn't want any sat dish, but they still want the cancellation fee. So I told them that in the contract it says about apartment not allowing sat dish..... long story short I told them about the arbitration clause and that I wanted to initiate arbitration but he just hanged up.

My question is, if they do not remove this fee from my credit report how can I initiate arbitration? Do I need to sue them first in small court or is there anywhere I can file to initiate arbitration? And who pays the fees? I'm in Los Angeles.

Please help.

I had directv for about 12 month all paid and then I cancelled it and it went to collection. They want $250 for cancellation fee and AFNI put it in my credit report.

I called AFNI and told them that my apartment manager doesn't want any sat dish, but they still want the cancellation fee. So I told them that in the contract it says about apartment not allowing sat dish..... 

You have a big problem and arbitration isn't going to solve this.  Your rationale that the apartment manager doesn't want satellite dishes won't fly.  You had the service for a year.  DirecTv has 2 year contracts and the full cancellation fee is $400 for early termination.  Once you start using the service it is prorated based on the time left on the contract.  The $250 represents the prorated portion.

The apartment manager by law cannot refuse to allow you to have a dish.  They can refuse to let it be mounted on the roof, side of building, or common property but for you to avoid the fee you would have had to be informed within 3 days and cancelled then to avoid the fee.

I know I went through this with my condo association.  The only place to put the dish was common property and it had to go.  I had a letter from the HOA saying to remove it and cancelled within 3 days.  I still fought DirecTv for 3 years before they finally stopped sending an $800 amount to collections.  Internally they still keep a $400 amount they want for 5 months of service (coincidentally the same amount as a cancellation fee) where they kept billing me monthly for services that had been cancelled.  No one from their executive office can explain why they kept charging monthly fees and they flat out refuse to zero out the account.  

My question is, if they do not remove this fee from my credit report how can I initiate arbitration? Do I need to sue them first in small court or is there anywhere I can file to initiate arbitration? And who pays the fees? I'm in Los Angeles.

First AFNI is nothing more than a collection agency.  You won't do arbitration with them you have to do it with DirecTv.  That is if their contract even allows it.  Do you have a copy of the contract you signed?  If they will arbitrate then it will state who pays the fees.  If the contract does not alllow it you can ask but you would both have to pay the fees.

There are 2 other options:  1) is a complaint with the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau the other is to do a pay for delete which AFNI will do.  They are credit report poisoners and do it for the payment not the reporting.  Given that you likely owe this cancellation fee based on their contracts the chances that CFPB or arb will work are slim to none.  

The apartment building changed ownership and the new owner is saying that they do not have anytrhing in their file that I got authorization to get sat. Hence my delima......  I wonder if they will take less for pay for delete. It is possible that I just got a verbal approval from my old manager and nothing written in concrete.

The apartment building changed ownership and the new owner is saying that they do not have anytrhing in their file that I got authorization to get sat. Hence my delima......  I wonder if they will take less for pay for delete. It is possible that I just got a verbal approval from my old manager and nothing written in concrete.

Unfortunately absent a written letter compelling it to back your story up it won't wash. It will be too easy for them to counter argue (even in arb) that you simply wanted out of the contract and cancelled.  

All you can do is make an offer and see if they take it and then keep negotiating until you get something you can both agree to.

What if I make an offer and they take it, but Directv sells the balance to some one else? Right now AFNI has the bill, I can do a deal with AFNI but it doesn't guarantee that directv won't sell the balance to someone else?

Is there a specific language I need them to write so that directv won't be able to sell the balance?

DirecTv doesn't sell their debts they simply use a myriad of collection agencies.  

It is easily dealt with.  You include language in the settlement agreement that states this is paid in full and any remaining balance is disputed and may not be sold or transferred to another entity.