robertgu

​ Hello, 

I'm being sued by Cavalry Spv and I don't know what to do.  I have already missed a court date and and did received another letter that states "request for default"  The lawsuit is in Massachusetts

Can someone please advise me what steps should I take next.

Thanks

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

@robertgu

It is difficult to remove a default judgment.  This is from Mass Legal Help.  You can fill out the form.  You need to have a good reason why you missed court.  If you are low income, you may find a lawyer there to help.  Also, I think Harvard Law School runs a legal aid clinic.  Do a google search for "Harvard Law School Consumer Law Clinic" and see if someone there can assist you.

Motion to Remove Default - If the court enters a judgement against you because you did not do something you were supposed to, you can file a motion to remove default to ask the judge to reopen your case. See What is a Default Judgment and what do I do? doc.gif pdf.gif rtf-icon.jpg

@robertgu

It is difficult to remove a default judgment.  This is from Mass Legal Help.  You can fill out the form.  You need to have a good reason why you missed court.  If you are low income, you may find a lawyer there to help.  Also, I think Harvard Law School runs a legal aid clinic.  Do a google search for "Harvard Law School Consumer Law Clinic" and see if someone there can assist you.

Motion to Remove Default - If the court enters a judgement against you because you did not do something you were supposed to, you can file a motion to remove default to ask the judge to reopen your case. See What is a Default Judgment and what do I do? doc.gif pdf.gif rtf-icon.jpg

Hello debtzapper,  maybe I don't know what i'm talking about, so i attached some of the letter. I did file answer and got a letter "Notice of case management conference" Please see below.  Thanks

post-166443-0-43686500-1415418034_thumb.

post-166443-0-69046700-1415418085_thumb.

post-166443-0-68006200-1415418707_thumb.

@robertgu

See if the Consumer Law Clinic at Harvard/Wilmer Hale can help you.

http://www.legalservicescenter.org/

You didn't say what the court date you missed was about.  If the law firm is asking for a default judgment because of whatever it was you missed, you will have to give the judge a good reason why you missed it.  If, on the other hand,  it is just a Case Management Conference about your case, then you will basically be asked if you want to settle the case or if you want to go to trial.  I think you would be well-advised to see if anyone at the link I gave you can assist you, if nothing at least with some legal advice.

• 3 months later...