Student Loan Collections - Need Help

So here is the situation. I have not defaulted on my student loans, they were with Sallie Mae but now with Navient,  but I am very far behind due to a very unstable work situation for most of this year.

Anyway, they had been calling me night and day for the past few months and their most recent tactic has been to start calling my work and even my mother. I recently came into a bigger paycheck  and I made a payment of $1000, which is was about a third of my past due, and I was hoping that would get them to back off but today they called my wife, which is just over the top so I have a couple of questions.

First, is  there a way to get them to stop harassing other people besides me? I am  honestly a bit shocked by this type of collection tactic on my federal student loans, it seems like something a JDB would do.

Secondly, does anyone have experiencing in negotiating with these folks and coming to a reasonable resolution? . I honestly can probably get caught up over the next few months but I have heard that these folks can be pretty unreasonable in their demands, which the constant calling seems to indicate.

Thanks!

Sounds like you've been avoiding talking to them? Maybe you should talk to them, see what you can do > you may be able to get a deferment to get them off your back. Deferments aren't the best thing since you get hammered by interest added to your principal during deferment - but it keeps you from possibly defaulting, getting hit with additional late charges, and an end to the phone calls. There are  deferments you can do over the phone, others (economic hardship) that you can apply for by filling out an application and faxing it to them.

Legally, CAs are allowed to call you @ work until they are (a) informed you can not have personal calls @ work, ( b ) they have reasonable suspicion that you can not talk @ work.  Similiarly, they are legally allowed to contact third parties (i.e. mom) for location information regarding you including home #, current address, place of employment UNTIL they make contact with you thereby have a verified good contact #.

As for your wife, California is a "spousal state" i.e. your spouse can be contacted regarding your debts as well.  Contact w/ her does count as a verified contact so they would have to cease 3rd party location information calling.  Now if Mom/Dad was your co-signer than they can discuss the debt with either of them as well (providing they also reside in a spousal state, if not, then only the co-signer)

Thank for the information. And yes, I have been avoiding which is not good but I just did not really have any financial options until recently. I will probably call them but I need to cool off a bit as I am really ticked off by this recent tactic.

Also, just as a side note neither of my parents had anything to do with my student loans. These loans are from over twenty years ago and my mother has moved probably five  times since then and they called her on her cell phone so I am not even sure how they got this information.

Thanks!

If your mother did not give them permission to call her cell phone, she could have a TCPA violation for that. However, you need to get your head out of the sand and talk to them, even if to get a 6 month deferment (and if you have not used that yet, consider doing so). If you cannot get a deferment, at least try to get the payments as low as possible and then start paying. When you can, make extra payments.